Chapter 23

Mirage listened to Moon's confession with rapt attention. 

"So you knew my secret since I came to this school?" She asked. Moon shook her head.

"You hid it from yourself pretty well until that memory," She admitted. "I tried to block it, but I couldn't. But know I can, thanks to-"

Moon cut off awkwardly. Mirage narrowed her eyes.

"Thanks to who?" She asked. Her scales shifted to her Sandwing form as she did so.

"Never mind. No one important," The Nightwing said quickly. "You knew Deathbringer?"

"Yes." Mirage suspected that she was changing the subject. "He taught me how to be an assassin."

She remembered the times she had trained, learned, and talked with him. Deathbringer was pretty nice at that time, but now Mirage thought he was just a jerk. 

"You shouldn't hate him for something his- our- tribe did, you know," Moon interrupted suddenly. Mirage shrugged angrily. The Nightwing was making it hard for her to figure her out. 

"But I do, and I can," Mirage retorted. Moon nodded, not wanting to argue.

"Um, what powers do you have?" She asked the hybrid. Mirage blinked, not wanting to spill her secrets to the Nightwing.

But she'll know anyways, Her mind whispered. Mirage sighed. 

"I can do this," She turned her tail barb invisible, then her whole body. "And this." Mirage changed back into a Sandwing and snapped open her jaws. Venom sprayed out of her fangs, and hit the stone floor with a hiss, eating the ground up. 

"You have all the powers from both tribes?" Moon asked, impressed. Mirage blinked.

"I can't survive long in the heat, or not eating or drinking. And I also can't breathe fire. But the other powers, yes."

"So you don't live in the desert?" Moon prodded.

"Yes, I live in the Rainwing village. You've probably never seen me. I spent most of my time in the Scorpion Den hunting down my targets."

Moon winced, then asked, "What's your real name?" 

Mirage smiled.

"Jasmin."