Chapter 31

Mirage sighed, and turned to Moon, Qibli, and Winter. 

"Well, I'll just go back to our sleeping cave," She headed out of the library. Starflight stumbled after her, not wanting to stay in the library after the attack. An awkward tension was vibrating behind Mirage as she left, but she shrugged it off, wanting to see Kinkajou.

"Hey," She greeted as she arrived in their cave. Kinkajou was on the floor, scribbling furiously on an empty scroll. "What are you doing?" 

"Making a plan to help Glory!" She bounced up and beamed at the hybrid. "She is my best friend, you know. Also my queen, and Glory is awesome!"

"That is exactly why you don't have to worry about her," Mirage pointed out. "As I said already, Glory has an army of invisible RainWings that have death spit, and Deathbringer's stuck to her like the needles of a cactus! You have nothing to worry about."

She patted the worried/excited RainWing. Though Kinkajou looked better, with hints of her usual yellow and pink showing in through spots of lime green, she looked a bit nervous.

"But extra protection is always great!" Kinkajou protested. "And I can be SUPER scary and fierce. Look!"

She bared her fangs and turned an angry red. Her ruff was flared, wings shook out to make her seem larger and menacing. Mirage rolled her eyes, amused, and headed out of the cave.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Kinkajou called, hurrying to catch up. She slowed down right at her tail, where the dragonet looked at the venomous tail-barb -which was glinting dangerously in the light of glowing lamps- with a doubtful look,  then carefully walked next to Mirage.

"I'm going to see whether Winter's alright. He should have gone back to his cave." Mirage paused. "Icicle is his sister, after all."

She and Kinkajou had been gone for a while. Surely Qibli and Winter had gone to their rooms? From what she had seen from NightWing dragonet, Moon had most likely gone somewhere alone to have some time to think.

"Ooh, I'm coming!" Kinkajou bounced into the IceWing's cave, which he shared with Qibli. 

"Never said you could," Mirage snorted jokingly. She padded in the cave after Kinkajou with a swish of her tail. Qibli and Winter weren't there. They had probably just taken some time away from each other.

"Wait, something's weird." Mirage paused. Bandit, the IceWing's scavenger, was missing alongside his cage. "Bandit's not here."

She froze. There was only one reason Winter had left the academy with his scavenger.

"Kinkajou! Winter's going to the RainWing kingdom to get Icicle!"