Chapter 40

Jasmin watched as Winter thumped down onto the ground besides Obsidian, Qibli and Moon right behind him. 

"Oh, you're the weird little NightWing," Obsidian raised his eyebrows. "And you're back. Caused trouble, didn't you? Let's get these new dragons to the village."

"Excuse me?" Kinkajou flared her wings. "I'm not new! I'm a RainWing! I live here! So does Moon! We don't need to go to the village!"

"Kinkajou, we should go to the NightWing village," Moon said softly. "Then I can see my mother again."

"Oh." The RainWing stopped. "Well, we'll go. But not because someone ordered us to!"

Jasmin followed the group as they trudged through the rainforest and neared the NightWing village. She moved swiftly and silently, not crunching a single leaf.

When they arrived at the village, Jasmin surveyed the area. NightWings were everywhere. Building huts, eating, cooking a small pig, just like everything was normal. 

"Mother!" Moon cried, and ran into the arms of a thin NightWing. 

"Moon!" Secretkeeper wrapped her wings around her daughter. "Why are here?"

"To see Glory," Kinkajou gazed somewhat wistfully at the two. With a jolt, Jasmin remembered that the RainWing didn't know who her mother or father was. The hybrid was lucky; Euphoria cared for her and would protect her life. Coyote...

"Winter, Qibli," She hissed, pushing her father out of her mind. "It's me, Jasmin."

Winter jumped slightly, but Qibli stood perfectly still.

"Jasmin, I think you should stay hidden," He murmured under his breath. "If we get into trouble of sort, at least one of us can be safe."

"Okay," She sighed. "I can't hide from Glory though." 

Or Deathbringer, Jasmin realized. Their training had included spotting camouflaged RainWings as well as hiding herself.

She'd just have to last until then.