Chapter 57

Jasmin decided to pass by the Scorpion Den, then fly over to the Great Five-Tail River. The river cut through SkyWing and SandWing territory, and many bloody battles had been fought to claim it as their own land. 

"Oi," A rough, almost careless voice stopped her tracks as she was scanning the wide stretch of sand. The Scorpion Den was far behind her. What was a SandWing doing here?

"Who are you?" She asked cautiously.

"You're the assassin in the Scorpion Den, right?" The strange SandWing ignored her question. As Jasmin peered at him, she saw that deep scars were slashed viciously across his neck.

"That is none of your business," Jasmin growled. "Unless you are a customer, and I'm not taking any today."

"I heard that you were missing for a while, eh?" He grinned a sly smile. Jasmin saw that the SandWing was almost twice as big as her, but she didn't flinch. "Where were you?"

"None of your business," She repeated. "Look, whoever you are, I need to go. I'm busy."

"Where were you?" The SandWing asked again, this time grabbing her shoulder. Jasmin tried twisting away, but his grip was too strong.

"Let me go!" She snarled. Jasmin lifted her tail, the venomous tip glistening in the sun.

"You were in Jade Mountain Academy, weren't you?" He gripped her shoulder harder, making her wince as blood trickled down. Without hesitation, Jasmin let out a roar of fury and slashed her claws at his side, leaving a long gash on the SandWing.

He let out a roar of fury, and his dusty yellow scales glimmered in the sunlight. Jasmin leaped out of the way as he raked his own talon at her neck. He missed, and cut her arm. 

"You fool!" The SandWing roared. "You don't know how important I am! I'm Barb! I had everything! You killed my brother!"

"Who's your brother?" Jasmin hissed, biting back a growl of pain as he trapped her tail, preventing her from using it. 

"General Cactus? Does that ring a bell?" Barb sneered.

"Oh...I remember now," She muttered, clenching her teeth as the other SandWing stood on top of her. "That worthless excuse of a general was as scared as a scavenger when I ripped him apart, like what I'm about to do to you right now."

"Oh, how?" He crowed, his words dripping with sarcasm. Jasmin snarled, then let a stream of red and orange overcome her sandy yellow. Barb let out a yelp of surprise, and the hybrid let her normal turquoise and purple wash over her.

"Like this," She smirked, then slashed his stomach open, watching as his blood ran the sand red.