Chapter 67

After a few days of almost nonstop flying, Jasmin arrived at the small hook of land near IceWing territory. She squinted, seeing the familiar ocean in the distance. Jasmin beat her tired wings harder, hoping to arrive soon. 

When she could finally make out Jerboa's small wooden hut, Jasmin almost collapsed out of the air in relief to find her destination. A couple times in her long journey, she'd wondered whether she was going the right path. 

Jasmin landed clumsily on the sandy beach in front of the hut, and stumbled to the door. She knocked three times, and a rather startled Jerboa opened the door. 

"Jasmin!" She gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"Jade Mountain was stressful," Jasmin replied, out of breath. "I almost killed my kind-of friend and the rest of them hate me and Peril's under a spell."

"Calm down!" Jerboa smiled warmly. "Come inside so that you can tell me what happened. I'll get some food and water." 

Jasmin blinked at her friend gratefully. "Thanks for taking me in even though I'm a mess and kind of paranoid."

"No problem," Jerboa laughed. After a hearty meal crabs and fish stew, Jasmin told her how she'd been invited to Jade Mountain and met Moon, Kinkajou, Qibli, Turtle, and Winter. 

"Moon's full name is Moonwatcher, but she likes being called Moon," Jasmin explained, then hesitated. "She can..."

"You don't have to tell me," Jerboa said.

"No, it's alright. Moon can read minds," Jasmin sighed. "And see the future. And she gave us this cryptic prophecy. Which, of course, we need to figure out. But I guess I'm out now." She added. "Because I almost killed Winter."

"Why would you do that?" The SandWing asked. "Isn't he nice?"

"No. He's a jerk." Jasmin snapped, then paused. "Okay. Sorry. But he is a jerk. A very self-esteemed jerk. And he insulted me and Peril. So I shot my venom at him."

Jerboa raised her eyebrows at her. "Really. Just because he insulted you."

"Yes," Jasmin muttered. "But it was worth it."

"Really?" Jerboa asked again. 

"...not." The hybrid sighed.