Chapter 7

Mirage woke up at dawn. She was used to waking up early, since her business started then. Kinkajou was lying on her back in her hammock, snoring quietly. Carnelian tossed and turned, teeth bared even in her sleep. Moon was curled in her nest, mumbling softly under her breath.

"...Beware...Jade Mountain...Thunder...Lost...Fall..." She whispered. Mirage listened intently to the words. Moon repeated the words again and again until she whimpered softly and fell silent. Mirage looked at the Nightwing. It sounded cryptic.

"Nothing to do except go out like usual," Mirage whispered to herself. She flew out of the mountain, and headed to the Scorpion Den.

"Where did you go this early in the morning?"  Kinkajou asked when she came in their cave.

"Scorpion Den. And this isn't 'early'. I woke up at dawn," Mirage informed. She had had enough time to get five victims, and that had earned her a day and a half worth of food.

Moon stared at her until Mirage got uncomfortable with all their attention on her.

"Where's Carnelian?" She changed the subject. Kinkajou pointed at the rock ledge, and Mirage saw that the Skywing was sitting up with a grumpy expression.

"What?" She growled. Mirage shrugged. 

"Let's go to the library!" Kinkajou suggested. Moon and Mirage nodded and they walked to the cave.

"I'm starving! We should go to the Prey Center. I want to see how Clay's doing," Kinkajou bounced up and down.

"I'm not hungry, I ate on the way. But sure." Mirage shrugged. Moon followed the over-excited Rainwing without a word. Mirage kept an eye on her the whole way. She didn't trust the Nightwing. Not yet, anyways. 

They arrived at the prey center, and the three dragonets were greeted by a mess of running chickens, dragonets chasing the chickens, and a shocked Clay.

"Clay, this is madness!" Kinkajou laughed.

"I know," The Mudwing replied ruefully. Mirage sighed. Great. Just great. All she was asking for was a quiet place to eat and rest, and now they were in this chaotic excuse for a prey center.

"I'll just leave and rest in our cave," Mirage started to head out of the big cave, but Kinkajou barreled into her, making Mirage stumble onto the stone floor.