Chapter 35

"What in all of Pyrrhia was that?" Winter growled. 

"A prophecy," Mirage rolled her eyes. "Duh." 

"Wow," Kinkajou breathed. 

"Winter, there are a couple of things you need to know about me," Moon sighed. "Turtle, please give one of the rocks to Winter."

Turtle pried a rock from his half-empty armband, and handed it to the baffled IceWing. 

"I'll tell you everything," Moon twisted her talons in a nervous kind of way.

"Everything? That sounds a bit ominous," Winter snorted. 

"Not as ominous as, 'Jade Mountain will fall beneath thunder and ice,'" Qibli shrugged. "That's what I want to talk about."

"I'm pretty sure it meant, death, death, monsters everywhere, and more death," Turtle flashed his glowing stripes nervously. 

"But we just need to find the lost city of night, right?" Kinkajou asked. "Then Jade Mountain won't fall!"

"Is that what you saw?" Qibli turned to Moon. "Jade Mountain falling on us?"

"I'm not sure," Moon shook her head. "I've had visions about it, but it didn't come out in words before."

"Actually, it did," Mirage interrupted. "When you're asleep, and you keep repeating the same cryptic words and it's pretty creepy to the ones who are there listening to you."

"Wait, what is this all about?" Winter demanded. "That was a prophecy, and visions? NightWings aren't supposed to have any powers anymore."

"They can't." Moon said bluntly. "Not anymore, since almost two thousand years ago."

Winter went still as rock. 

"Until me," She continued. "Because I hatched in the rainforest, under two full moons. So I can do both."

"Both what?" Winter growled, though Mirage guessed that he already knew. 

"See visions of future," Moon hesitated. "And...read minds."