Chapter 65

Jasmin looked at Scarlet's face. She couldn't see what the SkyWing was thinking about, since the ex-queen's face was half melted off. Jasmin thought guiltily back to Winter's terrified face when she'd let black acid shoot out her sharp fangs. 

"Well?" The other SkyWing, the one who'd given Peril the necklace, prompted. Jasmin whipped her head around to watch Peril's reaction. She was surprised when she noticed that smoke had stopped wounding around her body. Peril cautiously set one talon down onto the soft grass, but the green stalks didn't instantly wither and burn away into ashes. 

Instead, they just got crushed from the weight of a dragon's claws. Peril blinked, shocked, then leaped down from her large boulder. The grass lived!

Peril poked a flower. It didn't burn into smithereens. 

"Did you see that?" She gasped, and Jasmin felt like screaming on the top of her lungs. "I'm normal! I can't burn anything!"

"Completely normal," Scarlet grunted. "You were much more use when you could burn anything."

"Well, what are you waiting for, Your Majesty?" Peril shouted, flinging herself into the air. "Let's go get your throne back!"

Jasmin stood in shock as the three dragons started lifting off. She then shook out of it, and flew with them, trying not to let bursts of surprised orange flash on her camouflaged scales. 

Meanwhile, Peril was having the fun of her life, nudging and brushing against the other SkyWing, who was looking disgruntled. 

"Could we do this a time that isn't flying in a wind current?" He asked. "I mean, I love all this affection, thank you, but maybe another time?"

"One last one!" Peril laughed, bumping heartily into his side, almost knocking him out of the current, then started flipping through the air. Jasmin had never seen her looking so carefree. It was kind of...sad, she supposed, how the SkyWing had never been able to do whatever she wanted, always in the clutches of Scarlet and facing disgust and fright. Of course, she was free after Ruby took the throne, being able to fly away from Scarlet's grasp.

But it looked like that was going to change.