23. Long Talks & Feelings

Melody's P.O.V.

"Can I ask you something?" his tone suddenly turns serious as we are laid up in bed together.

"Sure," I reply.

I don't really know why, but I start to slightly pull away from him.

Only for him to pull me back close.

"The first time we met," he starts. "Why did you throw yourself at me like that? My first thought back then was it was just of who I was, but I then realized that you had no idea who I was. I thought at first that it was just part of your game, but it really wasn't. So..."

I was expecting him to ask me anything, but not this.

"I mean, I don't know, Marshall? Why does it even matter now?"

"I don't know, I just... I guess by this point, I'm just used to girls wanting me for who I am, being famous at all, but not like, for who I am as a person."

He actually sounds so... vulnerable when he says that, I can't help but to feel for him.

"But you can't think like that, Marshall. Plus, when we first met, not to pop your bubble or anything, but you weren't even THAT famous. Which is exactly why I had no idea who you were," I say jokingly, trying to somewhat break the ice. "So maybe I really just... thought you were that hot, you know?"

"Yeah, ok," he says. I can tell that he's trying to sound dismissive, but I can hear a tiny smile in his voice.

Then he turns serious again.

"And then you told me you ain't never had sex before. I remember how crazy it was that you would just give it up to me just like that. Don't you girls always want y'all first time to be special? Not with some random ass person?"

"I don't know, I mean, in a way it was kind of special to me. It was the first time I've ever felt that way. Like I... wanted somebody."

"What you mean?"

"I just... I just never felt like I ever wanted to do it with anybody. Until I met you," I say quietly.

"Yeah, and until you went with that random dude at the bar," says Marshall. His arms are still wrapped tightly around me, but his voice now turns bitter, causing me to almost shrink into myself.

The way he says it, with so much venom, almost makes me recoil from him.

"It wasn't like that," I whisper, suddenly feeling very subconscious.

"Damn, Mel. Why did you have to do that?" He still sounds extremely angry with me, and in turn, it causes me to start getting angry as well.

"Oh my God, Marshall, do we really need to talk about this right now?! And do you really even have to ask me this? I mean, you fucked Kim that night. After how you used to feed me bullshit lies for months about how you were not even into her like that anymore. And it really hurt me. It shouldn't have. I mean, I had no room to get mad at you about that, not really. It's not like we were ever really... a thing. But I was still so mad at you, and I just wanted to... give you a taste of your own medicine. I just wanted to spite you. I mean, isn't it obvious?"

"Well, you know what, Mel, if you wanted to spite me, you got exactly what you wanted. Hope it made you happy when you did that shit!"

I want to respond to that so badly, but end-up biting my lip instead.

We lay there in thick uncomfortable silence for a while. Then Marshall starts with the interrogation again. Although this time, his voice is slightly softer in tone.

"And then you gone tell me, that fucking asshole was the last dude you've been with, until I showed up at your place that night drunk."

"Oh my God, would you let that go?!" I turn my head slightly towards him. "I wasn't even into it with him. It was kind of horrible actually!"