56. Love The Way You Lie Part 2

Melody's P.O.V.

I sit right by the front floor, waiting for Marshall to come in so I could confront him.

Lyric is laid out on the leaving room couch, sleeping peacefully. My packed bags resting next to her.

I feel this weird mix of anticipation, fear, anxiety and anger all at once. I am a ball of nerves and tension.

If he really thinks he can keep me with him against my will, he's got another thing coming.

Through it all, ironically, I still love him, just because I cling desperately to the person he used to be before the drugs took over.

Was he ever perfect? No, but who is? I'm not perfect either, yet there was always a different gentler side to him that I loved. Seems to me like that side is gone now. But it can't be completely gone, could it? It's just buried underneath his pill usage, and until he finds it again, I need to get the fuck away from him for Lyric's sake.

Finally, the door opens.

And Marshall walks in with the rest of the girls. Hailie and Alaina are both by his side, while he's holding sleeping Whitney in his arms. Must've picked them up from Betty's.

I realize at that moment that obviously, I can't say shit to him right now, because of the girls. I don't want to cause a scene in front of them and traumatize them, and Marshall fucking knew that!!

He didn't have to pick them up from Betty today, as it's already pretty late, he could just let them sleep there and get them tomorrow, but he purposefully got them now to trap me!

This fucking asshole!!

"Honey, I'm home," Marshall says sarcastically to me, and I swallow hard and don't say a thing.

"Melody, why did you leave us at Betty's? Why didn't you pick us up when you took Lyric?" Alaina asks me, and I immediately feel guilty as fuck.

"Melody was very tired, girls," Marshall says softly, looking at me, and I can't for the life of me read the expression in his eyes. "She needed a little break, didn't you, Mel?"

"Yeah," I whisper. "Sorry for not picking you up, girls."

"It's okay, we still love you," Hailie says, and both her and Alaina run up to hug me and I feel like shit.

"Aight guys, come, I'll put you to bed, Melody is still tired," Marshall then says to them and he goes upstairs with them.

I pick up Lyric and hold her in my arms.

Obviously, I can't just go and have it out with him now, I have to wait until the kids are asleep.

Eventually, Marshall seems to have been done with the girls and he just goes in our bedroom by the sound of it.

I continue to sit in the living room, hugging Lyric to my chest, not really knowing what to even do.

Then I suddenly hear footsteps on the stairs, and I turn around and see Marshall.

Our eyes meet, and I still have absolutely no idea how to interpret the expression in his.

I do know that he looks absolutely fucking stoned.

"Yo, why is Lyric here with you?" He asks me matter-of-factly, like he's completely unaware of how fucked things are between us right now and that he's literally holding me hostage in his house. "Go put her in the crib with Whitney. You know Whitney can't sleep unless her sister is there with her."

I just stare at him and I say nothing.

"Give me the baby, Mel," Marshall then says and extends his arms towards me, and I back away from him, holding my daughter close to my chest. "Yo, are you for real right now?" He then asks me incredulously, and I see anger flash in his cold eyes. "What, you think I'm gonna hurt her or something, Mel? You think I'll hurt my own daughter? I would never do that, the fuck is wrong with you?!"