62. Insecure

Melody's P.O.V.

"Melody, you should've really stayed at the hospital for the rest of the night like they told you too," my mother tells me as I'm walking through the doors of her apartment in New York.

"No need, momma, I feel fine," I shrug and re-adjust the huge dark shades I'm wearing to hide the bruising around my eye where Ja Rule's elbow had connected when I jumped on his back earlier and attempted to claw his eyes out.

"Still don't understand how this happened to you," my mother fusses over me, regarding my face. My lower lip is busted from when he backhanded me after I slapped him, and there's no way for me to conceal that.

Still though, I really wish Tessa haven't called my mother and told her what happened, but she sure knows now.

I go to sit at the table in her kitchen, and my mother follows me, taking a seat in front of me.

"See, I told you that boy was nothing but trouble," she grumbles, regarding me.

"Momma, please don't start," I sigh with exasperation, "It wasn't Marshall that hit me."

"Yes, but from what I understand, it's because he was fighting with that other guy that you got hurt," my mother says and goes to the fridge. She gets me an ice pack to press against my face but I just shake my head.

I start to open my mouth to say that the whole fight actually started because of me and not Marshall, but then close it. It's become such a habit for me to defend him to her that I sometimes forget that I'm not even supposed to do that anymore. I'm supposed to hate him, remember?

Which is why I'm so confused as to why I was crazy enough to jump on Ja Rule's back like that after he sucker pinched Marshall and was about to kick him. I don't know what I was thinking trying to have that white boy's back, fuck him.

It probably was just the fact that I felt bad about him finding out I slept with Ja through that shitty song he wrote.

Which is something I'm still reeling about myself. I don't know what is it with rappers, why they have to put everything in their damn shitty music like that?!

"Melody," my mother's voice bring me out of my thoughts. "Baby girl, don't cry. He's not worth it."

Once she points it out to me, I realize that I really am sitting there crying and I just hide my face in my hands.

"Momma, what's wrong with me?" I ask. "Why every man I deal with always ends-up doing something messed-up to me at the end? Is it something about me?"

"Oh no, baby, of course not! And you can't think like that," she says and pulls me into her arms, and I feel like a child again. It's crazy because I think this is the first time my mother hugs me and I allow her to hug me in years. We haven't exactly had a mother-daughter relationship in years, and once I started talking to her again, it was always kimd of awkward to me, but right now it just feels so nice to have her comfort me. "You just... you have to start making wiser choices in the man you chose to be in your life, Mel," she continues.

"Actually, I think I'm done with men period," I say through my tears. "I think I've had enough."

Definitely done with rappers for sure.

"There, there, baby girl. You just say it now because you are hurt, but I promise you, you won't always feel like that."

"I don't know, mom," I say and then suddenly break down. "I thought Marshall loved me, you know. He told me he loved me, then one day he just gonna dump me and run back to his ex and remarry her again. After all these years and all the stuff I've been through with him, and it never meant anything to him," my words jumble together and the way I'm getting this all out is probably not even making sense to her right now, but it feels good to finally let all of my emotions out that I've been holding on to for so long, and my mother just holds me and runs her hands through my hair.

Maybe that's what I needed to finally let go of all of my pain is to just let it all out like this.

I end-up staying with my mother for a few more days, but then I have to fly back to Detroit because I'm really missing Lyric.

I've been trying to call Marshall actually to put her on the phone with me, but for whatever reason, he never picks up his phone, which I find odd. Doesn't he realize that the only reason I would be calling him is because of our daughter and that I deserve to talk to her?!

When the plane lands in Detroit, it's kind of late in the day though, so I end-up just going home, showering and going to bed.

By this time, Lyric would be sleeping already anyway, and I don't want to disturb her.

First thing I do the next morning, I try to call Marshall, but he still doesn't pick up.

I shrug and begin to get dressed so that I could drive over there.

Just as I'm fixing my hair in the mirror though, the doorbell rings.

I open the door and see the person I had least expected to see.

It's Kim and she's got Lyric with her.

"Mommy, I miss you!!" She exclaims and runs over from Kim to me.

"Hey baby girl. Mommy's missed you too," I coo and sit down to hug her to my chest.

I pick Lyric up, straighten up and look at Kim as I frown in confusion.

Kim crosses her arms over her chest and attempts to peak behind me inside the house.

"Is Marshall here?" She asks me with an attitude.

"What? Why would he be here?" I frown.

"Just figured he would come running to you again," Kim says bitterly, and I feel even more confused.

"Well, he's not here," I shrug.

"That motherfucker," Kim mutters under her breath and I put my palms over Lyric's ears. "Well anyway, take your damn kid," Kim then adds angrily. "I had to look after her for all these days that he's been gone, and I got tired of it. I'm not a babysitter."

"What you mean you had to look after her?" I ask.

Kim huffs and rolls her eyes at me.

"Marshall took off," she says. "I've no idea where he is, and he left me to look after all of the kids on my own."

What the...

"Wait Kim, how long has he been gone?"

"About a week."

"He left my daughter with you for a week?" I ask angrily.

"That's what I just said, ain't it?" Kim tosses over her shoulder as she begins to walk away.

All I can do is shake my head and shift my gaze to Lyric.

"Are you okay, baby?" I ask her.

"Yeah. Tired," my little girl says.

I bring her inside the house with me and place her on the floor.

"So what happened, Lyric?" I ask her, trying to figure out what's going on. I doubt it that she would know anyway, but I'm trying to dig for any clues, cause this situation is weird as hell to me.

"I dunno, mommy. Daddy and Kim was screaming at each other. Then daddy left."

So, him and Kim had a fight about something and then he probably took off to cool off his head, but why is he gone for so long from there? And why would he leave Lyric there, what the hell is he thinking?!

I wasn't sure about this chapter, but I think it's kimd of important to show that even though Mel tries to act tough, she is still very hurt by what happened with her and Marshall in the past. And also hint at whatever drama is going on between him and Kim now...