39. The Good Guy

I feel like this chapter needs a trigger warning. Attempted SA later on in the chapter...

Melody's P.O.V.

So, none of this wouldn't have happened if only I have chosen to break-up with Cornell over the phone or something. Then have him send my stuff that was still at his house over to New York for me. Or maybe have someone fly over there and get it for me.

But my dumbass felt so bad for crossing the line with Marshall yet again that night I laid down in the bed with him, that I had felt like I owed Cornell to break things off with him in person.

But anyway, let's start at the beginning...

Back to the morning of Marshall's court hearing...

I wake up with Marshall's arms still wrapped tightly around me, and I know right away that I had fucked-up.

We haven't done anything, we haven't had sex, and he hasn't even tried it with me, just like he said he wouldn't.

But it still felt to me like we did something.

Staying up almost all night talking, with his strong arms holding me close to his body, yep, definitely crossed a fucking line.

But I don't have the time to dwell on it right now.

By the time we get up, we have only like 2 hours to get ready.

Which is technically plenty of time, but really, it's not when something is a matter of life and death, how it literally feels like to us.

I go through all of the clothes I have in my gym bag that I had brought with me, and put on what I think is the most appropriate outfit for the occasion.

Marshall in the meantime is struggling to get himself in a suit and a tie, mainly struggling with the tie, actually.

"Stupid fucking thing," he mutters to himself angrily under his breath as he wrestles with it.

I sigh and walk over to him.

"Chill, I got you," I fix it for him exactly right, even though my own hands are shaking and trembling pretty badly at this point.

On the side note, I don't think I've ever seen him in formal clothes before.

He looks so strange dressed like that, the clothes looking so out of place on him, but suiting him at the same time.

I can see his nerves starting to get the best out of him too as he kind of fidgets in place.

"Look, Mel," he takes a hold of my hand that was just around his neck. "I just need to tell you that I'm sorry for anything I ever did to you, any time I ever mistreated you or whatever, and..."

"Haven't you already apologized to me yesterday?" I ask incredulously.

I can't help but think that it's so unlike him, to apologize so much.

"Yeah, but that was for the VMAs," Marshall says. "This is for everything else that I've ever..."

"Don't," I shake my head. "You sound like you are about to die or something," I try to make light of the situation. "You know, like you are trying to right all of your wrongs right before meeting your maker."

"I feel like I am in a way. I can't lie, this shit is humbling like a motherfucker," Marshall says bitterly.

"Well, you are gonna be okay. They... they can't put you away for this bullshit, Marshall! They not... So please stop, okay?" I chuckle nervously.