36. Best Friend

Melody's P.O.V.

It has now been exactly a month since VMAs, and I've been staying with Cornell at his house in Saint-Louis.

I flew out there to be with him like a week after the After Party, hoping that living together would help us bond more, but instead we have been fighting a lot.

Truth be told, ever since that night at the After Party, Cornell stared to mistrust me, and I honestly can't even blame him.

I mean, I have crossed a line with Marshall.

And I would rather die than ever tell Cornell the truth about it, but I'm pretty sure he suspects things, he ain't stupid.

I mean, at the party, he played it off, because he wanted to make Marshall look like the crazy one, but as soon as we got home that day, he grilled me with questions.

"Fuck did dirty mean by he ain't done nothing to you you ain't want him to do, shawty?" He asked me angrily as soon as we walked through the door of my New York apartment.

"I don't fucking know, Cornell!!" I remember lying through my teeth, completely caught off guard by his sudden aggression, especially considering that the whole car ride back, he haven't given me any indication that he even suspected anything at all.

"Oh, you don't know, huh? Don't try to play me, Mel. Don't think I haven't noticed that you and that cracker disappeared from the party at the same time. Then he gonna walk back in right behind you, talking about I should be telling YOU to stay away from HIM. Fuck he mean by that?!"

"Nothing, baby," I sighed. I tried to caress his cheek lightly, and he moved away from me.

"God, Cornell!!" I exclaimed. "You don't know Marshall at all, do you? Let me tell you something about him. All he ever does is just run his fucking mouth. That's what he does best!! Don't listen to him!!"

"You still ain't answer my question though, baby girl. What were you doing with him out there?"

"Nothing!! I haven't done nothing, Cornell!! He followed me outside, okay? And he was talking shit to me, calling me all kinds of bitches and sluts for moving on from him too quickly, apparently. And that upset me cause he was being such a fucking hypocrite! So I... I slapped him and ran back to the party, okay?"

The best way to lie to somebody is to mix your lies with the truth. Marshall taught me that. Guess he taught me well.

Cornell still looked dubious, but he let it go.

Or so I thought...

All these days and weeks later, we are practically living together, but he still won't let it go.

If God forbid they are showing anything Marshall related on TV, and I don't change the channel right away, he starts questioning me about it.

Whenever I leave the house, he's asking me where I'm going, and he wants to see the proof that I really am headed where I just said I was headed.

His trust issues are through the roof with me right now, and honestly, he is becoming almost as posessive as Marshall.

And the thing is, with Marshall it used to kind of low key turn me on. With Cornell, it just annoyes the living hell out of me.

Guess I'm a hypocrite too.

Only thing is, I really do need Cornell.

He is the only thing stopping me right now from falling into my old habits with Marshall.