54. Roommates

Marshall's P.O.V.

I wake up the next morning in an empty bed.

Mel is not next to me, and I immediately feel like shit and I know I had fucked up with her again last night.

I remember very well everything I've said to her, and I honestly ain't mean to do that, and I never wanted to hurt her, it's just that at that moment I was too numb to give a fuck.

I sigh down my nose and squint my eyes at the clock near the bed. I have like about an hour before I have to start heading for the studio. Fuck me, I can't just leave here like this though, I need to makeup with her first, cause I really did mess up.

I don't know what to even say to her at this point though, so I just lay on my back and stare at the ceiling. Maybe drugs do fuck me up man, cause I'm starting to realize now that sometimes I can't even control myself.

I then hear one of the babies start crying and Mel fussing over her in the nursery.

I get out of bed and something on the nightstand catches my eye. A small shiny object. I pick it up and see that it's the engagement ring that I gave Mel, and I know that she has never taken it off before, so why would she take it off now? The thought makes me both angry and sad, and I know that I need to do talk it out with her right now or imma lose her for real.

I make my way to the nursery and watch Melody with the girls. She's been getting more of a hang of it lately, and honestly I do love to see how she interacts with them. Betty would still be taking over for her with them though from time to time, so she could catch a little break.

Melody changes Whitney's diaper, then looks up and sees me standing in the doorway, and her previously calm expression changes into an unsure one, and I hate that I put this look on her face now.

"Yo can we talk?" I ask quietly.

Mel shrugs and puts Whitney back in her crib. She then pushes her way past me and walks out of the room.

"Talk," she tosses over her shoulder.

"It's like that?" I ask, following behind her like a lost puppy.

"How else you expect it to be, Marshall?"

She makes her way into our bedroom and starts straightening things out in there, with her back turned to me. And I know she only does this so she doesn't have to look at me.

I close the door behind me and lean against it, as I just watch her for a while.

"You wanna tell me why you took your ring off?" I finally ask her.

"Because like I told you, I'm not marrying you if you keep on fucking with those pills. I told you that, Marshall. Plus, last night, you said something about how you wouldn't have married me anyway, cause I'm bad for your image or whatever. So, I see no reason to wear it," Melody replies, still not looking at me.

I walk up to her then and wrap my arms around her, pulling her to my chest, and I feel her whole body stiffen up in discomfort, and I hate for her to react to me in this way, I'm not fucking used to it. But I get it. She's real fucking mad at me right now, and it's my own goddamn fault.

"Baby, I'm sorry," I say to her quietly. "That shit I said to you last night, I didn't mean that. You know that, right? You know I love you, right?"

"I don't know, Marshall," she shakes her head. "You say you love me, but you don't show it."

Now that makes me angry just a little bit. But I let it slide because I feel like I owe it to her because of what I had pulled last night.

"I do love you, Mel. I'll do anything for you."