70. Memories & Other Drugs

Melody's P.O.V.

Today marks an anniversary of Proof's death, so I go to Marshall's house to check on him. I don't bring Lyric with me, as I don't know exactly the kind of condition he would be in today. I mean, he sounded okay when I called him on the phone earlier, but you never know with Marshall.

I know that he still struggled with the whole sobriety thing, and if any day might trigger him to want to seek comfort in drugs again, it's today.

"Marshall?" I call out to him as I walk through the doors of his giant house.

I look for him everywhere, and finally, I find him at the gym.

Running like crazy on that treadmill, and there are empty cans of energy drinks everywhere.

I sigh to myself in both relief and exasperation.

I swear, this guy has just traded one addiction to another. This one is much less harmful, of course, but he really has been overdoing this whole exercise thing lately.

"Marshall," I call to him again. And he looks up at me briefly and just keeps running.

Sweat is covering his body, his now brown hair sticking to his forehead with it, as well as his wife beater and his baggy pants.

"Give me a second, Mel, would ya?" He says, checking the time on his watch.

I smile to myself and just shake my head and walk out. I sit in the living room and wait for Marshall to finally emerge from the gym with a small towel wrapped around his shoulders.

"Sorry about that," he shrugs. "I'm trying to hit a certain number of miles I run a day."

"I can see that," I smile, but then think more on it. "Marshall, don't you think you had enough though?"

"What you mean?"

"Don't you think you like, maybe overdoing it a little bit?"

"I'm just tryna lose all that weight I've gained."

"But you've literally been lost that! You are probably in the best shape than you've ever been right now. You are more fit than you were the first time we've met. I just don't want you to exhaust yourself..."

"Look, what's really the fucking problem?!" He suddenly snaps, and I flinch and take a step back away from him, out of an old habit.

Marshall's face immediately fills with regret, and he begins to drag both of his hands down his face.

"Aw shit, I'm sorry, Mel. I ain't mean to flip out on you like that, I'm just on a fucking edge today, aight? I... fuck man, I really am sorry."

"It's cool, I shouldn't have pushed you..."

"Nah baby, it's not cool," he sighs, calling me baby out of habit, I guess, since we are not together like that anymore, we are just friends now. "I shouldn't have raised my fucking voice at you like that, I ain't mean to."

Marshall walks up to me, and he pulls me to him for a quick hug.

"I'm glad you came by today, aight? Means a lot to me."

Neither of us acknowledges exactly what day today is, even though we both know it. It's easier not to mention it, I guess.

"Of course I came by. You know that I'll always have your back," I say looking up at him.

"I know that, baby. Let me go take a shower yo. I'm all sweaty right now and shit."

Marshall's goes to take a shower, and I just sit on the living room couch waiting for him.