grow up

The day has been stressful, I woke a few hours before everyone and packed food for the drive. I haven't been around Ludo enough to know but Naroo and Bella get crabby on an empty stomach.

I made more than a few sandwiches than needed but Bella had a big appetite.

Most of the day I was arranging rides for Daniel and everyone he invited to the jet and than making my own way with Naroo to the hospital that Anne stayed at.

Naroo held his hand out the window, his hand gliding up and down.

It was strange walking through the hospital with Naroo, all the employees bowed and then ushered back to work when we passed.

He led me to Anne's room and he quietly opened the door. He peaked his head in and guestered for me to follow.

He pulled a chair over for me than walked to the other corner to get his own.

"I thought she'd be awake by now" He whispered, gazing at her sweetly.

He pulled put a note and flipped it between his fingers while smiling, he lifted it to my eyes.

"I wrote this in case she doesn't wake up in time"

"That's sweet Roo" a frail and small voice came from her petite form, her lips curled into a weak smile.

I could tell that she had an amazing smile, she still does, one of a fighter.

She held her hand out and Naroo placed his in hers, the difference in size could be comical.

Her weight seemed to be healthier than most other sick people.

"Are you his sister?"

Eh? Sister?" He calls me his sister? That's...... not something I'd have guessed.

"Uhm"

"He said you might not be comfortable with that, I'm sorry, you look so beautiful, he talks so highly of you"

"No, I'm his sister, and I think the most beautiful person in here is you"

She gave a shy but happy smile. I watched her gave Naroo's hand a small squeeze.

"I never would have thought....the lieutenant being so nice" she paused and let out a weak, raspy cough "I remember when we were in the training room, you probably didn't notice....there were so many girls....I wonder why they separated us like that"

"So kids like you and Naroo wouldn't meet, no distractions"

"Oh...to late" she laughed warmly. It was cold but she made this place so warm, like she was that person who you thought was the wisest, sitting on a big chair next to a warm fireplace.

Maybe that's just something I think of, she makes me think of pumpkins and apple pie, like she's a fall child.

Naroo draped his big coat over her. He had a long sleeved turtleneck on, he had taken off one of his gloves to hold her hand.

"Roo you feel so cold, have you been taking care of yourself?"

"Yeah, just cold outside" He lied, she wouldn't know.

"Liar" she mumbled "your lip twitched, you...liar"

Naroo grinned and leaned over her, he kissed her lips sweetly. He placed his hand over hers.

"I'll bring you something when I come back"

"You don't have to Roo"

"I know, love you"

Naroo stood and walked out, giving me a moment to say my goodbye.

I give her a small hug and smile down at her "it was nice meeting you Anne, Naroo really tries to not talk about you but he can't help himself sometimes"