CHAPTER 15

On the way home is an uncomfortable ride. Karina seems to have something to say.

"is everything okay?" Ryu asked.

"you lied." Karina said, not looking at him.

"about?" Ryu raised an eyebrow.

"you and Heejin."

Ryu stays silent. She's not wrong. He lied about some stuff.

"you have something with her, aren't you?" Karina finally looks at him. Ryu just lowers his head, thinking of what he'll say. "just tell me already."

"what am I supposed to tell you? you know what you need to know." Ryu looks at her.

"so you slept with her? it's true?"

Ryu averted his gaze again, looking at Wonpil who's already looking at him from the mirror.

"I thought you're different." Karina squinted her eyes. "I can't believe this." Karina sighs. "she talked to me."

"then, if you wanna judge me based on that, I can't prevent you from whatever it is you wanna do." Ryu looks at her. just when he wants to commit, something gets in their way.

"I'm not judging you. that's the truth."

Seeing this side of Karina is new to Ryu. He knows what he did is wrong but breaking off things only because of that is quite... childish.

"what's the truth? That I'm just a guy who sleeps with pretty models? That I'm not the good guy like you imagined? What do you want, Karina? What do you expect."

"I just want you to be honest. Knowing how close we are, I supposed that you're willing to open up more to me." Karina lowers her voice. She too, never seen Ryu like this.

"I know. I'm sorry." Ryu gently holds her hand. "I think... we need time."

"what do you mean by that?" Karina draws her hand back, letting go from Ryu's gentle grip.

"I'm not sure about this. about us." Ryu is actually confused. There are things in his head and heart that he can't explain.

Karina is now the one who stays silent.

"I can understand." With this conversation ends, they arrived at Karina's apartment. "thank you, Ryu. I really cherish each second that I'm with you."

Karina leans in and gives him a soft kiss on the cheek. She quickly gets out of the car and walks away.

Ryu feels hurt that he had to end things between them. On the other hand, he feels glad that he realized that they're just not it. That they just had to part and continue on professionally.

-

After a week, Ryu haven't heard things from Karina. She did post some updates on her social media. Ryu is not used to the silence from his phone. well, he has to, from now on.

"Shin. Ryu. Jin." Yuna peeks inside his room. "wanna go to the park?"

"I have a few hours. sure."

Ryu quickly gets up and take his hoodie. The two walks out of the mansion and drive to the park.

"are you okay?" Ryu asked. The two already walking away from his car.

"are YOU okay? C'mon. if it's about Karina, you can tell me." Yuna looks up at him.

"I'm good, Yu. At least I'm trying to. I still need to focus on work."

"well, I'll support anything that you do. just like how you always support me." Yuna smiles. She then found a bench and sits on it. Ryu too joins in.

Enjoying each other's company is enough for Ryu. Maybe, loving her is enough.

"do you have anything you wanna tell me?" Ryu's turn to ask.

Yuna ignores the big brother. she somehow looks sad.

"promise me you won't get worried. I'm totally fine. Okay?"

"you're making me worried by saying that." Ryu caress her hair gently.

"I might... have a cancer." Yuna lowers her head.

"what?! Why didn't you tell me? are you okay now? why did you say might? Is it still in early stage?" something then entered Ryu's mind. The thing about Yuna having doctor appointments that he forgot. "how long did you hide this? did you pay with your own money?"

"calm down, Ryu. I'm doing good now. I just hope that I can manage." Yuna tries to calm him down by holding his hands.

"you're taking this too lightly. I wanna talk to the doctor you talk to and we can run some tests."

-

Yeji and Chaeryeong are having a girls' night. Jeong is still at home but he leaves them to have their own time.

"well, if that's the case, you might wanna back up." Chaeryeong gave Yeji an advice.

"it starts to get tiring." Yeji sighs. "you know what's more surprising?"

"what?"

"Hyunjin is gay." Yeji looks at Chaeryeong. "I'm impressed with his acting."

"poor him." Chaeryeong then gasps. "he's gay?! How did you know?"

"that girl spoke so loud, thinking that she whispered." Yeji scoffed.

"oh, right. they're probably that close back then."

"and yeah, poor him. I mean it's all good if I know about that. I won't have to play along anymore and just go for Ryu instead. Sure, Hyunjin is good on some things. he's a good man too, but my heart just can't accept him. you know what I mean?"

Not long after that, Jeong comes out of his room.

"you guys hungry?" he asked, walking towards the kitchen.

"we just ate." Chaeryeong looks back at him. "if you can't wake up tomorrow, I won't wake you up again." Jeong just woke up from his evening nap.

"please?" Jeong replied from the kitchen.

Instead of answering, Chaeryeong just shakes her head.

"you guys are living my dream." Yeji sulked, pouting at Chaeryeong.

"he's still a pain in the..."

"babe!" Jeong shows up behind her holding a sandwich. "I love you." Jeong then gives her a kiss on the head.

"alright. I'm gonna go. Get a room."