CHAPTER 8

Yeji bursts in to the room, finding Ryu sitting on the bed without his shirt.

"I told you to go, didn't I?" Ryu looks away from her.

"I'm sorry, Ryu. I missed you." Yeji dared to walk closer.

"I'm not in the mood. I suggest you leave."

"or what?" Yeji sighs. "are you gonna give me a chance to explain?"

"I understand. Can you give me time? I really don't wanna argue." He weakly said.

"I don't wanna argue with you. I just want you to listen." Yeji stands right in front of him, too close it makes Ryu feels bothered.

"I'm saying this for the last time, Yeji." Ryu stands up, Yeji got pushed back a little. "you'll get hurt."

Yeji can finally see Ryu's eyes. his pupils dilated, the white part of them looks pinkish. His cheeks are showing a shade of red. She looks deeper into his eyes but she can't seem to read him.

"please, Yeji." His voice shakes. Honestly, it hurts to push her away but he needs time to recover so he can think clearly.

Yeji keeps their eyes locked. She hopes that Ryu can see how much she missed him, needs him, and her regrets.

Ryu walks forward slowly, forcing Yeji to walk back until she hits the door. He knows that she won't back up that easily.

"I've been touched. I've slept with someone. I'm not a perfect man like you'd imagined."

"is this how you try to push me away? You know it's hurting me, right?" Yeji's eyes starts to get glossy. "was it the same girl that did this?" Yeji raised her hand slowly to touch the bruises on his neck.

Ryu quickly hold her hand.

"hurt? Do you wanna know what hurts? Do you really know?" Ryu moved her hand away from his neck. "did you doubt me?" Ryu take a step closer. "did you?"

Cat caught her tongue. She understands why Jeong tried to hold her back. even though he shows a subtle expression, she knows Ryu is actually mad and pissed.

"then, you have the right to do so. You still have the right to go out with other guys chosen by your parents..." Ryu paused, looking deep into her eyes. "... while I work my ass off for you. to prove my mother, the only family I have, that I'm capable. I'm capable to start a life with a woman of my dream. The woman I cared so dearly." Ryu's breath starts to heave. "but I can't expect you to trust me or understand me, can I? I know what you need, Yeji. I really do. but, I don't have that. not right now. I know I'm a fool to make you wait. I'm guilty to pursue my career but also leaving you. I can't be there for you all the time like those men." Ryu's face is now closer to Yeji. "I'm the one to blame for what you feel. I know you already lost your hope in me once you agree to see another man behind my back. also, sleeping with him? really, Yeji? Do you really like me or just my presence. Did you only like me when I'm around?"

Yeji let out her tears. Not only she was doubting him, he too, feels betrayed.

"you feel guilty, now? Minho, Seulgi, then Jake, you wanna add another? Where do you put me in your life? I put you on top, Yeji. All these things I'm working for is for you. I failed my sister. Do you want me to fail my mother too?" Ryu knows he might sound selfish but he gets his priorities set.

"I need a company, Ryu. I can't-"

"exactly." Ryu looks down. "I gave you everything that I've got. I was there when you're at your lowest. I left my work. I realized that I did those only to see you with other man. Three times, Yeji. Do you know how hurtful it is?"

"stop." Yeji knows if Ryu continues to talk, Yeji will only fall deeper into a pit of guilt. "I was an asshole. I'm a coward. I can't control my feelings and actions. I really do like you, Ryu. I love you."

Ryu looks up. this time, he's doubting her. from the way she easily ends up with other man, Ryu won't buy her words.

"I don't even like Minho. You know how evil he is. Seulgi is my guard, my father's request. Jake... he's just another rebound. We argued almost every day but he managed to calm me down..." Yeji realized what she said. "we just slept on the same bed but we did nothing. Trust me, Ryu." Yeji take both of his hands.

"I want you to go." Ryu let go of her hand. "I need some time to think about this clearly."

-

"wow. How dumb." Jeong said to Yeji.

They're at Jeong's bar tonight. Chaeryeong is busy so she decided to see him instead.

"I haven't been able to contact him for a week. I think he blocked me." Yeji starts overthinking things. "what if he found another girl and just left? Did you know anything?"

"he won't do that. unless he blacked out and girls decided to take advantage." Jeong shrugs. "he's out of radar. I don't see him on the news but rumors are going around."

"I know that. that's why I'm worried. I really love him, Jeong. It's no longer like it used to." Yeji looks down.

"do you act like you love him? you need to stop accepting your parents' requests. They know him, right?" Jeong sighs. "be patient, Yeji. I know how he works. He must have some reasons to do this."

"I'm gonna visit him."

"you just have time, didn't you?" Jeong guessed. Yeji just nods slowly. "see? you can have all the time you have to work. He doesn't mind. He's doing the same thing now. trust him."

"I'm so stupid." She sighs. "okay. from now, I will focus on work just like he does. I'm gonna keep doing that until he's ready." Yeji shows Jeong her stern face.

"if that's what you wanna do then I'll support you. just to let you know, Ryu used to get a lot of pressure from his mom. It's stuck with him now." Jeong smiles a little.

"thank you, Jeong. I'll control myself."