CHAPTER 5

Yeji comes home after a long day at the company. meetings and reports that she reviewed really drained her energy.

"Yeji..." her mother greeted her.

Yeji noticed a guy sitting across her. here we go again, she thought.

"this is Minho." Yejin introduced him.

"oh." Yeji looks at him again. "Minho?!" Yeji remembers very well who he is.

"you guys know each other?" Yejin asked.

"I know him really well." Yeji squinted her eyes. "let's have a talk." Yeji drags her other away from Minho.

"what?"

"first of, what's he doing here? He's a bad guy. Second, if you want me to be with him, I don't want it. I want him to leave." Yeji sternly said. "I told you I have my own choice."

"you have to see his background. He's worthy enough to be your partner. What you said is based on the past. He might not be as bad as he was." Yejin said as stern.

"no. my decision is final. I will prove to you that my choice is better than him."

"just talk to him first." Yejin sighs.

The two walks back to the living area. Yeji and her mother sits side by side.

"so... are you guys talking about me?" Minho shows them a smug smile. "can I take her out, then?"

"no. I won't be going out with you, now, tomorrow, and ever." Yeji responded.

"I'm sorry. She's a bit tough at first." Yejin smiles at him. "you can come by anytime to get close to her. I'll be away for some times, maybe you can keep her company."

"I don't need that." Yeji furrowed her eyebrows.

"Roger that, ma'am. She'll be safe."

-

"that's... not good." Chaeryeong responded to Yeji's story. "so, what are you gonna do?"

"I actually want my parents and Ryu to meet. But, we're not in that phase yet. What do I do?" Yeji pouts and sighs.

"hm..." Chaeryeong rubs her head. "you can tell him this, right? I mean, as a friend."

"that's possible. But, what if he took it the wrong way? Like using him to get away from my parents' choice."

"bad to think of him that way. You need help. Ask him." Chaeryeong shrugs.

"easy for you to say."

-

After a long consideration, Yeji finally got the guts to meet Ryu. She waits nervously at a café that she chose. Then, the man she's been waiting for came in.

"hey, sorry. That traffics are crazy." Ryu sits in front of her, taking off his mask. "you seems a little nervous. Are you okay?"

Yeji takes her time. telling the truth or just cover it up with a different story. She knows that what she's doing right now is ridiculous.

"before anything, I just wanna let you know that I have no bad intentions." Yeji looks at his expression. "you know that my parents like to match me up with someone. You also know that... I like you." Yeji's face grew red. Ryu just gives her a small smile. "that's beside the point. So... my mom wants me to get close to Minho. You remember him, right?"

"Lee... Minho?" Ryu's heart gets uneasy. He's worried about her safety. "I do remember." Also, the times that his friends abused him at school.

"my plan was... I want you to meet my parents to let them know that I made my choice." Yeji didn't dare to look in his eyes. she sounds so desperate right now.

"okay." Ryu replied simply.

Yeji looks up at him. that was easier than she intended.

Ryu himself knows that probably Yeji is as scared he is. it's not just because Minho is not her type. He's a bully. Even after years, it doesn't guarantee that he changed.

"I have time this Friday. I'll go to your house." Ryu purses his lips. "perhaps... I can bring something?"

"oh... I don't know what my mom likes."

"that's okay. I'll figure that out." Ryu looks around. "don't be nervous. You'll be okay. Tell me if you need anything."

-

It's only a day before Friday and Minho kept coming to Yeji's house.

"so you're still with that losers?" Minho sips his wine.

"you're the loser." Yeji rolls her eyes, not taking it off of her phone.

"c'mon. is that how you talk to your future husband?" Minho smirks.

"first of, you're dreaming too high. Second, I won't be your wife. I have a boyfriend." She spat.

"oh, please. you think I want you?" Minho scoffs. "well, you're hot. but your money is hotter. So, I can get both."

"no surprise."

"so, who's that boyfriend you're talking about?" Minho leaned in.

"that's none of your business." Yeji then heard her phone rings. It's her mother. "hello?"

"tell Minho I'll come home tomorrow. I have some things to do in New York before going back to Kansas."

"perfect. I'll tell him, then, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend." Yeji smiles.

"but Minho will be there. You can arrange for another time."

"that's even better right? you can compare both of them and I know my choice is better."

"you're not respecting him."

"trust me. you'll like him." Yeji turns to the side. "besides, I think mine is way richer than him."

"I'll see what I can do. you better tell your dad too."

"okay! See you, mom. I love you."

"really? Richer than me? is he like Bill Gates or something?" Minho stifles a mocking laugh. "bet he's just one of your employees."

"watch your mouth."