CHAPTER 8

Yeji's turn to wait for Ryu to make sure that it's really him. since she has to take care of her mother, she's able to come to the park after dinner time. turns out that tonight, the light shows are on. She thought that this will be the perfect night to meet him. she leans on the fence, waiting for him to show up again.

"guess who."

Two hands covered her eyes. her heart raced. But as soon as she noticed the smell, she knows that it's not Ryu.

"Mingyu..." she sulks. "you scared me. what if I get kidnapped?"

"you won't." he chuckled. "I'm here." He nudged her shoulder. "oh, I'm here at the perfect time." Mingyu enjoys the lights from the statue and the triplet hotel.

Yeji stays silent. This is not what she wanted. She's disappointed.

"what's wrong? Do you need some time alone?" Mingyu looks at her.

"nothing."

-

Ryu is on his way to the park. He bounces his legs rapidly.

"with all due respect, sir. I think you need to recover first." Wonpil is getting worried about Ryu's health. He notice that Ryu is getting paler for about two days.

"let me do this, Wonpil. I can't let her slip again." Ryu's voice is a little hoarse. "just this time."

Setting aside his health, Ryu walks towards his usual spot. He noticed that there's a light show going on. If the universe lets him, he will enjoy this with Yeji. Checking the time, he fastens his pace. Unlike the past days, he gets tired even before getting close to the statue.

Ryu takes his heavy breath to recover for a bit. Using the fence as a handle, he walks along the fence towards his spot. When he's getting close to the statue, he looks up.

Ryu has never been happier to hear Yeji's voice. She's the first thing he sees before he noticed a guy beside her. his heart immediately drops. He's standing behind Yeji while Mingyu is facing Ryu.

"do you know that guy?" Mingyu asked Yeji.

Soon, Yeji turns around. For the first time in forever, the two finally see each other. But, in the worst time possible.

Ryu and Yeji froze. They both didn't know what to do.

"Y-Yeji..." Ryu broke the silence. He then looks at Mingyu. "I..." Ryu found it hard to talk. This is not the vision he's seeing.

Yeji didn't waste enough time to run and embrace him in a tight hug. Ryu stumbles back a little but managed to keep his balance.

"I know I saw you that day." Yeji said, crying on his chest. "I really missed you."

"who is he?" that's the first thing that came to his mind.

"you don't need to know. we just met." Yeji didn't seem to want to let go of him.

"no. who is he, Yeji?" Ryu pushed her back gently. "please. I'm tired." Ryu looks down.

"he's just a friend, Ryu. I know you don't trust me but believe me, Ryu. Me and him are just friends."

"I don't trust anyone. I'm tired of trusting many people but ended up being betrayed. So, please..."

Mingyu who witness all of this takes a step back slowly. He knows that he's already lost.

"I'm being honest, Ryu. Believe me. I can't even live my life peacefully when I thought I could. I thought I could live here and get awa from you. ever since you said you don't wanna see me, I feel like-"

A pair of lips attached to Yeji's. Ryu shuts her mouth with his. At that moment, fireworks were blasting in the night sky. Ryu wraps his arms around Yeji's waist as she placed hers around his neck.

"I'm sorry, Yeji. Sorry that I had to take this much time to go to you." Ryu rests his forehead on Yeji's.

"please don't be mad." Yeji moved back a little. "I need to talk to him."

Ryu sighs. But, he just nods, trying to trust her again. Yeji walks ahead of Ryu. Realizing that Ryu isn't following, Yeji take his hand, asking him to follow along.

"Mingyu." Yeji saw him cleaning a table. "can we talk?"

"sure." Mingyu looks at Ryu. "come in."

"here." Ryu said sternly. He wants to get this over with.

"wait. Let me talk first." Mingyu takes a deep breath. "I already know that you have a boyfriend. I can see how you act everyday you come here and you stare at the river. You look so... broken. That's why I really want to accompany you." Mingyu paused, finding some words. "I've been enjoying all the times we spent together. Stupid me thought that I can be the one with you. but, seeing him here, I'm defeated." Mingyu smiles a little. "so... I hope you have a great life. If you come back here, I'll made you a special choco milkshake."

"since when do you like that?" Ryu asked.

"ah... that make sense. You never fully finished your drink." Mingyu looks down, stifling a laugh.

"thank you, Mingyu. I really appreciate your company." Yeji walks closer. "I might not be coming here that often anymore. Maybe I can make some time."

"don't bother. You should put you first." Mingyu grabs his cloth and spraying bottle again. "okay. I'll go back to work now."

"goodbye Mingyu."

Ryu and Yeji walks away from the restaurant. Since Ryu is exhausted, Yeji follows his pace.

"since when?" Yeji asked.

"more than a week ago." He glanced at her.

"how did you know I'm here?"

"luck, I guess." Ryu smiles a little.

"luck? Did you come here every day?" Yeji stops walking, looking up at him.

"let's just go. We'll talk."