CHAPTER 1

ps... the italics are the narrator's thoughts.

People always admire the successful heroes, entrepreneurs and celebrities. They believe they lead the perfect glamorous life all the time. Those successful people never have anything to worry about; they have everything in the world. But people will never know what it is like when the people with the perfect life aren't actually that wonderful, and that they might have to face the chance of being one of them, just another poor fish in the big dirty tank. And of course, people won't even bother to care about the "could've beens" that wait on them in restaurants, help them with their coats, and pour them drinks night after night while they act as their shrink and help them solve the latest problems in their bloody life.

I'm one of the latter. I'm a bartender at this little place in Manhattan. The wage is good, enough to pay the rent. I used to study at Columbia to be a doctor. But, like always, things happen and people change. Now, I'm here, working on my fifth hour, knee deep in booze. It has been a slow night, which means that Chris, my boss, isn't going to be fair with the tips again. And with a jingle of the doorbell, my night has gotten more worse than I thought it could be.

The newcomer is acutally a regular here. He's not too old, and he's not hard on the eyes eiter. But he's a first-class jackass with the temper of a bitch. Plus he's tips are as stingy as my aunt's. I quickly put his usual order in front of him before he sat down and went to serve another customer so that he won't bother me.

"Hey baby, be a doll and change this will ya? This taste like crap." He said gruffly as he motioned towards me. Damnit, I thought I got away tonight.

"It's the same thing you had last night, and all the nights before." I said with one hand on my hip.

"Bullshit! This taste like crap!" I hate this man, hate hate!

"Or maybe you already had too many. Do you want me to call you a cab?" I suggested nicely, hoping that he would leave earlier tonight.

"Quit acting like my mother" He growled with his head down on the table. Then quit acting like a spoiled brat.
"Just trying to help." I said casually.

"Who says I need your help! I just need a decent drink!"

"Well sir, if you think this drink is so bad, why don't you go find another bar!" I hissed at him.

"Look, this one is on the house, alright?" Said my friend, Izzie, coming to my rescue.

"Thanks...see if you use your pretty little head every once in a while and be nice, isn't it a hall of a lot better?" He said, looking at me with a snort.

"Yeah whatever...Asshole." I grumbled as I left. And I wish you will just drink and drop dead.

"McGrumpy's here again?" Christina asked, coming beside me.

"Right on time." I said tiredly.

"I'll take him. You take this one." Christina said, gesturing to the man that just came in.

"Be my guest...Hi, name your poison, please." I said, trying to be nice to the stranger.

"Double scotch, single malt please." Said the stranger as he sat down.

"Coming right up!" I said faking a cheerful voice. Who's this? I like the voice, so sexy!

"Slow night tonight?" He said, looking around the place.

"You can say that." I replied. Why do you care? And what are you up to?

"What's your name?" He asked in a deep, soothing voice. Aha, you're the booty call man.

"Why do you care?" I challenged. What'cha gonna say to that?

"So you're the fiesty one. Well, I'm the prince charming that's going to sweep you off your feet." He said smoothily. Bingo, booty call!

"Does that line actually work?" I asked, curiously.

"Never. But I wanna try it out. Anyway, I'm suppose to meet a friend here, but I guess it's a no show again." He said as he got up.

"But you just got here." I couldn't help saying. Wait, why did I say that? Stupid me!

"Well, I can stay, if you want me." He said seductively as he leaned across the counter.

"Sorry, I'm taken." I lied, trying to get rid of him. Wait, why am I doing this? He might be good! He looks like he might be good! Stupid, wake up!

"What a shame...we could've had a lot of fun." He said in a regretful voice. Yeah! See! It could've been fun! "Besides, it's your loss. Sure you don't want to reconsider?" He asked again, serving up a saucy look. Ok, now he's an ass... A yummy ass too! Stop!

"I'm pretty sure." I lied again. Note to self: must take stupidity test later.

"Alright sugar, I've tried. But don't worry. I'll be back soon, so don't miss me too much." He said and winked at me before he left.

Ass, ass, ass...hmmm he does have a good ass! I thought as I tilted my head and watched him walk away.

"Gimme his name and number." Said my two friends, who were also tilting their heads, watching him.

"Look girls, when you're done drooling. I need another one." Said McGrumpy from his seat.

We all glared at him. Yeah, I'm back to earth again.