CHAPTER 59

Derek's POV.

The next morning, I woke up in the small hospital bed with Meredith's tiny body in my arms. My arms was beyond numb, but I don't mind. Actually, I love it, because it means that my baby was with me. I carefully slide out of bed and made my way out. Mark was already there, sitting in a chair.

"Hey." He closed the magazine that he was reading and walked up to me.

"She's sleeping." I said.

"Is she okay?" He asked, concerned.

"I hope so, she was pretty tired."

"So what happened exactly?" I told him the story at the Louvre and his face grew angry near the end.

"Damn, I would've killed that bastard with my own hands."

"I should've, now I feel horrible." I admitted.

"But Mere wouldn't want you in jail."

"Yeah...I can't believe I got jealous." I sighed and sat down in the seat beside Mark's.

"You didn't know."

"Come on, let's go inside." I led him to Meredith's room, where she was still sleeping.

"How can anyone want to hurt her?" Mark whispered in a low voice, seeing the cuts and bruises on Meredith.

"I don't think I want to leave her along again. I risked it, and I almost lost her." I said, stroking her cheek gently with my thumb. She curled up further in the bed, grunting something.

One of the nurses came in with a clipboard. The sudden movement made Meredith flutter her eyes open. She looked nervous for a second, and I put my hand on her shoulder, which only made her tense up more.

"Mere, it's okay. It's me." I said gently, crouching to her eye level. When she saw my face, she relaxed back into the bed.

"You scared me." She said with a small smile.

"Sorry. The nurse is here though." I said and the nurse came in.

"I'm just going to do a quick check, can you please step outside?" She asked us. We left and waited outside. When the nurse came out, I saw Meredith's face change a little and went back in again.

"Are you okay?" I asked, Mark standing beside me.

"Hey Mark." She greeted and said, "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine, sweetheart, but still beautiful." Mark said.

Meredith smiled a little. "So what's gonna happen now?"

"Well, I talked to the doctor, and he said if all things are okay, we can get you out of here in a couple of days." I explained.

"Okay, because I didn't come here to get stuck in a hospital bed." She said, laughing quietly. It was the first time she looked relieved since the accident. It gave me hope.

"Mmmhmm...and you tell Derek to spoil you rotten, or you can tell me and I'll beat him up for it." Mark said with a conspiratorial  grin, which was quickly matched by Mere's.

"You're the best brother." I said sarcastically.

"Of course I am." Mark said proudly.

"But if you beat me up, Mere's gonna hate you.

"No...Mere will love me, because I'm Mark"

"I think I feel vomit coming up."

"Boys! I'm in a freaking hospital bed! At least look at me for a second!" Meredith yelled, in her full bossy mode.

"Sorry!" We said together with a cheeky grin, and Meredith just huffed in frustration.