CHAPTER 29

Meredith's POV.

A few days later, Christina called again and told me that I need to get down to the bar sometimes soon, or she's gonna kick me out of the group. So I've decided to go back to work, however, that little message was having a hard time going through Derek's brain. He had his head on my lap as we sat on the couch in the living room.

"Do you have to go?" He asked me. We've been discussing this for ten minutes already, but clearly we're not even half way through yet.

"Yes, Derek. I have to. This is my job, just like composing is your job." I said, stroking his hair as he looked up at me.

"Do you have to go?" He asked again for the...I lost count.

"Derek, come on. Can you be more understanding?"

"But if you go to work, you'll come home late and you'll sleep during the day, and then you'll go back to work again at night." He reasoned with me.

"I know, but this is my job. I can't just stay here forever and do nothing!"

"You can love me." Derek said, pouting at me again. That pout is seriously annoying me!

"I do love you!...And I can love you and go to work."

"But what if I miss you?" He asked, now rubbing his face against my stomach.

"We live together, Derek."

"But what if I want to make french toast?"

"Derek! There's more to a relationship other than just sex!"

"I know that! But sex is good! Our sex is amazing!"

"Derek, please...I need to do this, okay? We'll be okay, I promise." I pleaded with him, hoping that he'll understand. I know that he understands that I have to go back to work somedays, but denial is sweet, it takes the pain away. And it's superficial.

"Fine." He said, gruffly. "But there are rules!" He said, sitting up, and looking at me straight in the eye.

"Derek, you're not ten anymore! Stop acting like a kid!" Rules! Seriously! Since when did we have rules about me going to work?

"I'm not! I just wanted to make sure that we'll be okay!" He said forcefully.

"What do you want?" I asked, staring back at him.

"Take lighter shifts, and I get to visit you at work...and...just take care of yourself, okay? I don't want you to get hurt." He said softly, looking at me.

"Derek, I've been working in a bar since...since way too long. I know how to take care of myself!"

"I know! But you're my Mere...and I want my Mere to be safe." He said, hugging me close.

"Okay...okay...but Dere?"

"Mmmhmm?" He answered, muffled by my hair.

"Do you have to visit me at work?" I asked. I don't think that'll be a good idea...

"Yes. Or I'm not gonna let you go." He said, now holding me tightly. Ever since he had his other arm back, he always hugged me close, like a teddy bear. I was okay with it, since he was like a little furnace all the time, radiating warmth.

"Okay...just be subtle." I don't want him to lunge at men who talk to me, or whatever.

He nodded into my hair, and we've finally agreed to let me go back to work. I was glad to go back, instead of feeling rather useless at home. I was even excited, running my own bar with Christina and Izzie. I just hope that Derek would be okay with it.