CHAPTER 3

This update is from the songwriter's POV.

I'm really a procrastinator. I said I was going to really work on my music today, but here I am, 7 o'clock, at the entrance of the bar. When I walked in, the three bartenders looked up, but ignored me after. One of them walked towards my seat.

"What would you like, sir?" She asked cheerfully.

"Double scotch, single malt."

"Okay!" She said as she practically bounced towards the bottle on the shelf.

"You're early today, you know." She said as she poured my drink.

"You guys have another slow night tonight?" I said, gesturing towards the rather desolete place.

"Probably because you're here." Muttered the dark-haired girl.

I pretended not to hear her and turned towards my bartender.

"Why are you always so cheerful?" I said, half-annoyed.

"Because...look, of the three of us, I'm bright and shiny, that dark-hair girl, Christina, is mean and nasty, and that dirty-blonde over there, Meredith, is dark and twisty."

"Okay...why are you bright and shiny?" I asked, still not understanding her analogies.

"Why are you evil and grumpy?" She retorted with a hand on her hips.

"That's none of your business." I spat back. God, she's annoying.

"Right back at ya." She said and turned away. "By the way, do us a favor and leave earlier tonight."

Like hell I will. There's no way I'm leaving here sober tonight. I'm going to drink til I'm stinking drunk, even just to spite them.

A few hours later, the three girls were closing up, and I kept my promise - I'm still there, drinking. About half way through the bottle, they just handed the bottle to me, save them from pouring, and me to yell at them.

The Meredith girl came over and began to clean my side of the counter. I studied her closely. Her hair was dirty blonde and soft looking. In the dark bar light, it seemed to shine with this golden aura. Her eyes were downcast, looking at the counter intently. There was a sense of sadness in them, and loneliness, I didn't know which. And for some reason, probably because of the scotch, I felt I knew her, and that I wanted to talk to her, even though most of the girls here probably wished me dead.

"So you're Meredith?" I asked, looking up at her, studying her.

The girl looked up and eyed me like for the first time. "Yeah, so?"

"I'm Derek Shepherd."

She continued to stare at me for a moment, then said awkwardly, "Hello Derek."

"You don't know me?" I asked, a bit shocked due to my pride. How can she not know me? I'm Derek freaking Shepherd! THE songwriter!!!

"Should I know you?"

"Yeah..." I said a bit sarcastically, hoping that she will remember.

"I guess I do know you." She said quietly, while she wiped down the counter.

"As..." I said, praying she'll continue.

"As the drunk ass that sits around the bar everynight, yelling at me." She finished with an angry gleam in her eyes.

"Well I'm not...maybe I am drunk. But I'm hell of a lot more than that." I said, trying to defend myself.

"Oh really?" She asked, half-interestedly I think.

"Yeah. I'm a songwriter, you know the "most talented musician of the century?""

"Look Derek, you're way too drunk to even make sense. I'm calling you a cab." She said, trying to get away from me.

"No!" I said as I grabbed her hand. "Aren't you a bartender? Aren't you suppose to play shrink to the customers?"

"Sorry, but your 15 minute session passed a whole bottle ago."

"But I really am a songwriter! I live in a penthouse in fifth avenue, and I have enough grammy's to cover my entire freaking wall! I earn 15 million dollars each year, and I have a villa and a yacht in the Mediterreans!"

"Okay, okay...Look, I'm sure you're really great! But I need to close the bar in 5 minutes, and you need to leave, NOW!" Meredith said close to my face.

"Ow! God, thought you bartenders would know that you should never yell in someone's face when they're drunk! It hurts like hell!" I yelled, shutting my eyes and holding my head as I feel the headache coming up.

"Yeah, and as bartenders, I also know that it's the best way to kick drunks out!"

"Fine! You know what, I'm too tired to fight with you pin-up barbie dolls! But don't you dare think that I'm letting you go that easily! I'll be back!...Hahahahahaha....hasta la vista, baby!"

"I'll be waiting, terminator." I heard the girl's voice far away as I stumbled my way outside to the taxi.