CHAPTER 16

Meredith POV.

"Derek, do you know where this is?" I asked, almost shaking out of excitement

"Yes, I know. It's Masa. You've heard of it before, right?" Derek said as we took the elevator to fourth floor.

"Of course I heard of it! It's Masa! Who in Manhattan haven't heard of Masa?" I said incredulously. Masa is like my favorite Japanese restaurant!

"And you're point?" He said, leaning against the railing.

"Don't you need a reservation? There's only like 30 seats in the restaurant!"

"Nope. Well, at least not me." Derek said, shaking his head. The elevator door opened, and we were greeted by the receptionist.

"Mr. Shepherd! Welcome! Table for two?" She said in Japanese-accented English.

"Yes."

"Would you like to sit at the counter or at the table?' She asked.

"Counter or table?" He asked me.

"Whatever you want." I said, too happy to care. It's Masa! Anywhere is good!

"Counter please. Thank you, Michelle." Derek replied. And the receptionist led us into the restaurant. I watched in amazement as I saw many faces that I usually only see on TV and magazines.

"Shepherd!" The Chef greeted us as we walked in.

"Hey! How are you?" Derek answered.

"Oh, I'm good! Who is this beautiful girl?" The chef asked, smiling at me. I think I felt myself blush.

"This is Meredith. She's my girlfriend." He said proudly as he put his arm around me.

"You're a very lucky man!" The chef said, all smiles. "So, the usual?"

"Of course." Derek said.

"And what about you?" He asked me.

"I'll have whatever he's having." I said excitedly. Or I hope I sounded like I'm excited. Cuz honestly, I'm so nervous my stomach is doing somersaults!

"That's a good choice! Choto matte kudasai! (Just a moment, please!)" The chef said as he began working.

"So, what do you think?" Derek asked me as he took a sip of the sake, miraculously appearing in front of us.

"Did you know I've always wanted to come to Masa, but I never could?"

"Oh, really! So I guessed right then."

"Oh yeah. Do you come here a lot?" I asked.

"Yeah, I love the food here. It's so fresh. Chef Masa goes to Japan to hand pick the supplies, so it's good. Besides, being a famous songwriter does have advantages." He said, obviously proud of himself.

"Mmmhmm..." I replied, as I took in the scene around me. This is so cool! I turned around and watch Derek watching me.

"What?" I asked, a bit embarrassed.

"You're eyes...they were sparkling." He said as he continued to study me.

"Gosh, stop! You're making me feel bad!"

"There's no harm in being amazed."

"I am, very. Really you didn't need to go to this length to "impress me."

"I needed to make sure I did."

The food started coming, and we were both silent as we enjoyed our lunch. Derek was eating as he chatted with the chef. I am just too happy to care about anything. This has got to be the best sashimi I've ever had! It's so soft and juicy, it's like tofu! I swear, it's better than sex!

"Mmmm..." I can't help but moaning out loud.

"I see the lady's enjoying herself." The chef said smilingly, as I came back to earth.

"I am! Thank you!" I said, truly grateful.

"Here, try this." Derek said as he fed me a piece of sushi.

"Wow..." I was totally speechless.

"It's my favorite." Derek said. I giggled as I leaned in a kissed him on the cheek.

"Oooh, so we're kissing now." Derek said amused.

"You've been behaving so well...thought you might want a little reward." I whispered in his ears as I kissed his earlobe.

"Does that mean there's gonna be more rewards?" He whispered back.

"If you keep up this behavior...maybe." I said, giggling.

"You bet I will."

We finished our meal, which came at a ghastly price of $500, but Derek signed it off smiling. We were walking down the streets, while I hugged his arm to my chest, when he asked me.

"Tell me about yourself."

"What?"

"You know I'm a songwriter, I live in a penthouse, I drink...too much sometimes, and you've been living with me for a few days. Plus, you're my girlfriend, so tell me about yourself."

"I'm a bartender, I used to go to Columbia...what do you wanna know?" Where is this going?

"Why did you stop going to Columbia? You are obviously smart, why did you stop?"

"I wanted to be a doctor, actually. But, things didn't work out well. So, I became a bartender." I answered, hoping that he would be satisfied.

"What happened?" He asked, with compassion in his voice.

"It doesn't matter...it's history anyway. Who cares." I said quietly, hoping that he would take the hint.

"Okay...but you will tell me, right?" He asked, still concerned.

"Yeah." I said as I looked up and kissed his lips quickly.