CHAPTER 57

Derek woke me up today and told me we were going to the Louvre. I groaned, partly of sleepiness and partly because I didn't really wanted to go. I tried to think about a way to get out of it, but Derek was looking at me like a lost puppy, and like always....I gave in.

I didn't say anything as Derek drove the rented Porsche Boxster in the streets of Paris. I just looked out the window and pray that I can think of a way to avoid the upcoming disaster.

"Come on, Mere. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad right?" Derek said with a comforting smile as he looked at me.

"Mmmm..." It is better that I don't say anything now.

Derek parked and led me into the Louvre. When we were at the main floor, a twenty-something looking man walked forward towards us.

"Monsieur Shepherd?" He asked politely.

"Yes, that's me." Derek said, snaking an arm around my waist.

"Bonjour and Bienvenue! I am Jean-Luc, Monsieur Gagneau's assistant. Monsieur Gagneau is currently in a meeting right now, so I'll be serving as your guide for now." Jean-Luc said with an apologetic smile.

"That's alright." Derek said.

"And who is this petite belle over here?" Jean-Luc said, smiling at me.

"I'm Meredith." I said and offered my hand, before Derek could answer for me.

Jean-Luc took my hand and kissed it, "Mademoiselle, it's a pleasure to meet you." He said in a deep french accent.

Derek's hand immediately tightened around my waist. I looked up at him apologetically, but he looked like he was about to rip my hand away.

"Alright, now that we all know each other, let's get started!" The guide said excitedly and led away.

"That would be a good idea..." Derek hissed under his breath, his hold still unletting on me.

"A jealous sex god....yummy." I said with a smile, licking my lips.

"Oh yeah?" He lowered his face towards mine and gave me a soft and gentle kiss. "Maybe we should take a tour of the bathroom around here, huh?"

I giggled and hide my face in his neck, away from his exploring mouth. I still feel a bit afraid...but maybe I just might get lucky and get away with it today.

We were touring the branch of the gallery with the Mona Lisa. Jean-Luc was talking about the history of the artwork, talking a mile a minute. Derek kept on winking at me and laughing, remembering the story I told him earlier. I tried to hide my giggle, since Jean-Luc would look at us strangely sometimes.

"Jean-Luc, why don't you just read out of a textbook?" Said a older male voice with a french accent. I froze immediately in my spot, feeling the hair stand straight up on the back of my neck. I can recognize that voice anywhere, and I definitely hate that voice more than ever.

"Monsier Gagneau!" Jean-Luc called out excitedly.

"Long time no see, Derek." He said with a knowing smile, shaking Derek's hand. Derek had the same smile on his face too.

"It's been a while, Edgar." Derek said.

"And I see that you have met ma petite chere too." Edgar said, this time looking at me.

Derek looked at me confused at Edgar's last comment. And Edgar, being the gentlemen that he is, continued.

"Oh, Mere didn't tell you? We were together for almost two years!" Edgar said in a sweet and pleasant tone. Now, Derek was looking at me like he wanted to burn two holes through my head.

"Is this true?" Derek hissed, looking between us, his previous coolness completely disappeared.

"Derek..." I started, but I was too angered by Edgar's comment and his triumphant grin to be able to even form a sentence in my mind.

"You know what...it's fine." Derek spat out roughily and stormed off. The careless way he dropped his hands from me made me felt more empty than ever. I wanted to run after him, but somehow I felt my feet were stuck rooted on the ground.

Edgar watched Derek storm off down the hallway with amusement and turned back to look at me.

"Indespicable." I hissed, my eyes spitting fire.

"And we're alone again. Do you remember the first time we met? I believe it was right here, in this wing." He said as if we were some old friends reminiscing fond memories.

"Is this some kind of sick joke?"

"No, I just want you to face the truth. You're better off without him." He said.

"And I'm better off with you? And your wife and three kids in freaking Nice?" I yelled inches from his face, not caring that there were a few people shooting us death glares.

"I'm divorced now, and my wife was actually screwing some Italian trainer behind my back for three years." He shot back, his eys dark with venom.

"Well, good for her!" I yelled and walked off. He yelled something after me, but I was too angry to care. I heard his foot steps run after me, until I felt a firm hand on my arm, trapping me. He dragged me into an empty cement staircase.

"What the fuck do you want?" I screamed, my face red with anger and frustration.

"We meant something! We had a future, why did you give up?" He yelled back.

"I gave up, because you did nothing for us! There was never an us! You helped me over the car accident, yes, you made me feel strong again, yes. But you also screw me over so much, I can still feel the hurt! To this day! I am still hurting! I actually believed you! I thought you were it for me! But you had a wife, you had a family! What the hell do you think I was suppose to do? Wait? For how long?" I screamed, tears running freely down my cheeks. I didn't want to cry, I didn't want to look weak in front of him, but I can't

"I gave up my family for you! How can you say I did nothing! I did everything! I was there for you all the time!" He yelled, his neck and face flushed.

"Bullshit! We all know I wasn't the first secretary you had an affair with! If you had actually gave up your family, you would be divorced before I was even fucking born!"

"You don't even know what the fuck you are talking about!" He yelled, and lunged at me. I ducked away, but he grabbed my arms and slammed me into the corner.

His eyes were dark, and I couldn't see anything in it. It was like he was just an empty shell with no soul. I've never seen that face before, and it made me more afraid than ever.

"This is why I left you." I said coldly, standing up against him. But his fist already connected with my face, and I felt myself fall onto the floor, my shoulder hitting the wall.

"Did you actually think you can stay away from me forever? Did you think it was that easy?" He screamed, and I felt him kick me hard in my stomach. I was shock by his roughness. He may be an ass, but he never lifted a finger on me. I tried to move away and avoid the stairs, but he immediately kicked me again, making it impossible for me to move.

I screamed out, hoping someone can hear me, hoping Derek would still be there. "Shut the fuck up!" He screamed and hit me again.

I tried to crawl to the door, but of course he was faster than me. I began to feel weaker and weaker as he continued to hit me. I felt myself falling away, further and further.