CHAPTER 8

Meredith's POV.

"No, no, no, no....No!" I said immediately when I saw the evil sparkle in Derek's eyes.

"Come on...please Mer." Derek begged. "Have some sympathy for me...I promise I'll do anything if you say yes!"

"How long before he can go home?" Mark asked.

"A couple of days, barring implications." The doctor answered.

"Alright then. Mer, take care of him...cuz I've got a date in half an hour." Mark said, getting up.

"And that's my cue to go too." The doctor said, walking away.

"Wait! Are you seriously leaving me with him?" I said, panicking. I can't be alone with him! I'll...I'll do something!

"If you were nicer to me before...maybe I will." Mark said.

"Give it up, Mer. You're with me." Derek said with an evil grin.

"I seriously hate you...both of you!" I said, fixing each of them a glare.

"You love me." They chorused.

"See ya...or I won't get my candy today." Mark said over his shoulder.

"Bye Manwhore!" Yelled Derek.

"Right back at ya!"

Derek watched them go away and turned to face me with a look that's enough to make me want to slap him or kiss him senseless at the same time.

"No!" I said firmly. You can't break me!

"Mer...please...I need someone to take care of me. You don't want me to get sick do you?" He said, tilting his head.

"Derek...I'm your bartender, not your friend. I don't even know why you put me down as your emergency contact." I reasoned with him.

"But I already told you why."

"Those are not legit reasons."

"But Mer...I really do like you...can't we be friends?" He pleaded again.

"We're too different...you wear $500 shoes like they are slippers...I wear $50 shoes like they are $500."

"I can buy you a whole closet of $500 shoes if you want." He said as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

"That's not what I mean." But a whole closet is quite nice though. Me like shoes...

"I know..you are worried about your job. But that's okay, I can fix that."

"And how are you gonna fix that? A magic wand?"

Ï have connections...let me talk to Chris. If he fires you, I can get you another job in another bar, a better one. I can even get it for your friends. You know what, I'll even pay for you to take care of me."

"Ït's not that easy."I said, tired of fighting with him.

"Of course it is! I'm Derek Shepherd!"

"Why do you want me to be your friend so much? Why? Don't you have other friends who can help you?" I asked.

"I do have friends...but they only show up when I have a party or won an award, or did something stupid, you know."

"So no friends who are actually friends."

"Mmmmhmm...except for you. You're the only person who actually knows me personally other than Mark. And Mark...Mark can only be Mark."

"What about your family?" I asked, beginning to see the problem.

"Ummm...we're not really on speaking terms now."

"Oh...I see." Poor Derek...

"I know it's pathetic...but it's true."

"I don't have much of a family either...Christina and Izzie are my family."

"So...will you say yes? Please? I promise I'll be a good boy." He said, grabbing my hands and looking at me like a lost puppy. Damnit! I hate those eyes! No, wait, I love them! No, hate! love! hate! love!...uuuuuughhhh!

"Do you have to look like a puppy?" I said.

"Is it working?" He whispered, searching my eyes with his. Stop looking at his eyes! They're toxic!

I took a deep breath, then finally said, "You have to talk to Chris...and if he asks, it's completely your fault. And I get to keep my job."

"Consider it done...any other wishes for my pretty little nurse?" He said, his face inches close to mine. Close your eyes! Don't look! Toxic eyes, toxic eyes!

"Do you have any freaky secrets I should know of? spiders? crazy ex-girlfriends? secret wives? freaky habits? anything?" I asked.

"I'm clean, absolutely squeaky clean." He said, his breath dancing off my skin.

"Okay."

"Okay."