CHAPTER 30

Meredith's POV.

It was the first day, or I should say night of work for me, and I was excited. I rushed around the room, putting my bar clothes on. I finally cleaned up all my clothes that I threw across the bed when Derek came in.

"You going?" He asked, eyeing the black sequin halter top that I was wearing. It was really thin, and showed off my back and it had a low cut. Somehow, I don't think he's not gonna like it.

"Yeah, in twenty minutes." I said, smiling at him, hoping that it will make him feel better.

"But..." He said, motioning towards my choice of clothes. I knew it!

"It's a bar, Derek. And don't worry, I won't run off." I said giving him a kiss on the cheek as I walked by.

"Mmm...I want another one." He said, grabbing my arm and pulling me back. He cupped my face with one hand and kissed me full on the lips. His tongue entered my mouth and grazed against the interior. I didn't care if he messed up my lip gloss, since I could feel myself losing it. But he stopped and looked at me. "Now go." Damnit, I'll pay him back.

He wrapped my coat around me and pushed me out of the door. "Have fun!"

I arrived a bit late at the bar, and Christina yelled at me. But I quickly changed and went behind the bar to help her. I've decided to pick a Friday night to return, so that I can plunge right back in. The crowd was loud and the place was packed til 3 in the morning. A lot of the guys asked for my number and tried to hit on me but I just smiled at them or Christina will shoo them off.

It was about 4:30 in the morning when we were finally able to close down the place and do the books. I was tired and I could feel the pain washing over my body already, but I was on an adrenaline high from the partying and offered to stay and tidy up. I picked up the glasses, washed them, and took out the garbage. It took me almost two hours to do the books, but I was happy. I was doing something I'm good at, even though bartending and running a bar is like running a marathon that never seems to end, it made me feel good. It was a challenge and I was determined to take it.

I walked down the streets of Manhattan with the sun rising behind my back. I ducked into a Starbucks shop and got an espresso. I wanted to at least stay up a few hours with Derek, so that he wouldn't feel too bad about the change. However, when I walked in through the door, he wasn't up yet. I didn't want to disturb him and go into the bedroom, so I just sat down on the couch in the living room. Sleep came to me almost instantly, though I tried to fight it off, but I was too tired and I finally gave in.