CHAPTER 38

Meredith's POV.

So...Merry Fucking Christmas! It's Christmas Day, and instead of working my ass off and taking in so much cash that I'll be knees-deep in green by the time we close the bar, I have to go to the stupid concert with Barbie, and Christina, previously known as my person. And in order to emphasize my hatred for the whole thing, Christina and I wore our trusty Columbia sweaters, nice, grey, fluffy sweatpants and my favorite, warm ugg boots. We are in total rebel mode, since Izzie believe going to a concert means dressing up and going home with someone else. Well, not for me. I'm going with my lifelong lover, Jose, and I'm gonna leave with him. The best part is that, it's actually snowing, which means that I have to freeze my ass off too. This is why I love my life.

We arrived quite early at Central Park, because Izzie wanted the good seats. It was snowing harder now than in the morning. I had a bottle of Jose in each hand, and Christina has her vodka. Izzie was holding a few more bottles in her big backbag, in case we're not drunk with our two. The rest of the people quickly came and crowded around the stage. Christina and I were on a race to finish the first bottle. And as the music started flowing, we merely drank more, sang more and definitely screamed more. The alcohol was able to lessen the pain for me, which I was very grateful for. The Fray came on, and we slurred our way through the song, with interludes of hysterical giggles and screams. I believe a few people gave us death glares, but screw them all, I'm drunk!

However, the host, Ryan Seacrest came on after The Fray got off. Izzie, who was also drinking, made catcalls towards the stage while we just giggled beside her.

"Guys and Girls!" He yelled from the stage. "Are ya having fun?"

"Sure!" We yelled from our spot.

"It's an honour for me to present to you our next performer. He is featured as our top secret performance for the night!...This is his new song...please welcome...Derek Shepherd!" Ryan screamed and cheered with the crowds in the audience before he left the stage.

I guess I woke up in the middle of the announcement from my drunkness. When I heard the name, it stung like a cold shower, along with the headache induced by the tequila. I looked up at the stage in shock as I saw some guys move a black Steinway and Sons grand piano onto the stage, Derek's favorite piano. I turned around and glared at my friends, particularly Izzie. She looked as scared and shocked as I was.

"Mere...I'm so sorry! I didn't know!" Izzie said as Christina linked an arm gingerly around my shoulder and offered the tequila bottle to my lips.

"We can go if you want." Christina said, understandingly. Somehow, I shook my head and I glanced up to the stage with the rest of the crowd. I waited with them for him. They waited to see their idol, while I waited to see the man I used to love, and inevitably break my heart again.

He walked up to the stage and waved shyly at the crowd. He wore a black blazer, shirt and trousers. His hair was dreamy and...perfect. Everything about him was made up for the performance, but I could see the tiredness and the emptyness in his eyes from my place, far away from the stage.

He sat down beside the piano and everyone quieted down, waiting for him. However, he began to speak in a fluid, soft voice into the microphone.

"I...I wrote this song just a few weeks ago, based on something that had happened to me just recently. This song is very personal to me, and I hope you guys like it too, although it's not quite Christmas-ish, and...wherever you are, I'll never stop loving you, Meredith."

He sat facing the piano and his soft voice came streaming out of the speakers, and the piano soon followed.

And so it is
Just like you said it would be
Life goes easy on me
Most of the time

I felt my face began to warm and the tears were threatening to fall as I listened to him sing.

The shorter story
No love, no glory
No hero in her sky

My eyes were glued onto the stage, and it was hard for me to see with the tears that began to flow. I didn't dare turn away from his face, fearing that I would lose him. But I could hear Izzie moving closer to me, and I could hear her sniffling. The rest of the crowd was silent as they listened solemnly.

I can't take my eyes off of you