002. metamorphosis

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

              ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

     Wiped Out!: The Neighbourhood

"Alright, a pair to a bench and fence, and get painting. Check in with me at two thirty." Officer West tells us as we stop at the benches along the sidelines of the farmer's market.

"Feeling very o captain, my captain, are we?" I quirk up and a few kids chuckle.

"Indeed, Brianna. Now get to work." He walks towards the cop car across the street.

"You wanna pair up?" Sage asks.

"Sure." I reply and we head over to a bench before opening the can of paint.

"So what'd you do to get here?"

"What did you do?"

"Robbed a liquor store with my best friend."

"Classic."

"I know, right?" Sage smiles and I scoff before dipping my brush into the paint can.

"Your best friend here too?" I start painting the fence.

"Nah, I took the fall. Besides, my community service ends after today. It was only six months."

"Gotcha." I nod.

"You just moved here?"

"Yeah, a few days ago. I live with my best friend, Miles."

"Devroe?"

"Yeah. How do you know him?"

"We, uh, we have history and biology together." Sage says and I follow her gaze to Miles who's talking to Clark and a dark haired girl at a stand.

"I'm gonna use the restroom, be right back." I get up and cross the street. "Hey, Romeo." I casually wrap my arm around Miles's neck. "Don't look now, but, Juliet, one o'clock."

"Very funny." Miles scoffs.

"You see me laughing?"

"She's not lying." The dark haired girl confirms and Miles raises his eyebrows, making me mimic his action with a nod.

"Juliet, huh?" Miles clears his throat.

"No, her name is Sage." I tell him.

"So why'd you say her name was Juliet?"

"Are you seriously telling me you don't know Romeo and Juliet?"

"Oh, that's why you called me Romeo." He nods.

"For fuck's sake, just go over there while I question your existence." I exhale and the dark haired girl laughs.

"Wish me luck." Miles pulls away from me.