084. shenanigans in shanghai

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

              ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Local PD is searching the woods, but so far no sign of Bruce or Selina. What can you tell me about this woman?" I heave.

"Well, she was, uh, early thirties. A tasty fighter, actually." Alfred tells me. "Look, mate, it's just a scratch. Shove off, will you? I've got stuff to do." He stands up and holds his wounded arm.

"Look, we've got fifty police in the woods, even more on the roads. We need to focus on this woman and her people. What can you tell me about her?"

"They were trained kill us. And your bloody little girl brought them here."

"We don't know that yet."

"Kid!" Harvey enters. "You must be Alfred Pennyworth. Nice job out there."

"Yeah, well, not nice enough, eh?" Alfred inquires.

"This was taken off the dead guy. Nothing else—no keys, no I.D., nada." He holds up a mugshot of Selina to me. "Now, I know this girl. She was grabbed by the child snatchers. And now she's getting attacked by assassins at Wayne freaking Manor? What the hell's going on, kid?"

"What, you haven't told him?"

"Told me what?"

"Selina Kyle was in the alley the night the Waynes were murdered. She saw the killer's face." I bite the inside of my cheek.

"Oh, for pete's sake, kid, don't do this to me." Harvey warns.

"Harvey Dent in the D.A.'s office is investigating Dick Lovecraft. He thinks that Lovecraft is connected to the Wayne killings. So, he leaked that we had a witness. He thought he could spook Lovecraft. Get him to reveal himself."

"Wow, that's a hell of a plan. How did it work out? Bravo!"

"We thought she was safe. We thought no one knew she was here." Jim speaks up.

"Yeah, well, you were wrong, weren't you, you plank?" Alfred seethes. "How did they know?"

"Why didn't you tell me about this foolishness?" Harvey questions.

"Because you would have tried to stop me." I tell him.

"Of course I would tried to stop you, you freak! What the hell are you thinking? The Wayne case is closed. It is closed!"

"You know damn well it's not closed!"

"Don't tell me what I know!"

"Not much, I can tell you that!" I shout. "Has everything I done mean nothing to you! What the three of us been through so far? And we had a deal! You and Jim work on Falcone and I help Bruce. I didn't call you down here, Harvey! This is my problem, not yours. And as much as I would love to continue this sparing match, I have to go find Bruce. Don't wait up." I walk past him. "If they don't come back soon, they would have headed to Gotham. Selina feels safe there. Jim, focus on Lovecraft, find him, and if he is behind this, get him to call off the contract." I exit the room.