043. to helen and lex

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

      ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"It's almost midnight." Clark breaks the silence as I stand in the kitchen working up the last touches on his cake.

"Yeah, I can tell time, Kent. But thanks for the head's up." I reply. "Are you getting a head start on your term paper?"

"I've gotta give the toast at Lex's rehearsal dinner. It makes European history seem like a breeze."

"Just write whatever comes into your small mind." I shrug.

"Funny." Clark scoffs. "You're going by the way."

"I've had enough Lex Luthor weddings in my life."

"Well, I have feeling that it's gonna be a good one. And we like Helen."

"That's true, but I'm not going."

"Yes, you are."

"Funny that you think you can tell where I can and can't attend to."

"Too bad. You're on the seating chart. Along with your mom, Layton, Darion and Miles."

"Who's idea was that?" I set the icing bag down.

"I don't know." Clark tells me.

"Uh-huh." I scoff before I place the cake in the box, then lighting the candles. "You're just bad at lying as you are at everything else, huh?" I close the top and carefully bring it out of the kitchen.

"Am I supposed to guess what's in the box?" He raises his eyebrows and I come up behind him.

"No." I pull out a blindfold and put it on him. "You're supposed to close your eyes. But I prefer this way much more." I say into his ear before coming back behind the counter, then opening the lid to reveal the cake. "Okay. Strip." I then lean my hands against the edges of the counter and he takes off the blindfold before looking down at the cake. "Surprise, Kent."

"Yes, you definitely did." Clark stands up.

"I get the feeling it's not in a good way."

"It's just it's not really my birthday." He walks over to the window and I take the cake out of the box. "It's just some date that my parents picked off the calendar for the adoption papers."

"Maybe some of us wanna celebrate the day you tragically came into our lives." I pick up the cake and walk over to him and he chuckles while looking down.

"I never thought of it that way." Clark turns to me.

"You're welcome." I nod with a grin and he scoffs while shaking his head. "Make a wish. Or I'm blowing them out myself." I joke and he rolls his eyes before blowing out the candles. "Nice." I smile. "C'mon." I head back over to the counter and set the cake down.