092. ageless

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

   ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Are you alright?" Clark waves his arm out in front of me as I slam on the brakes.

"Yeah. What was that?" I take off my seatbelt before and head out of the car.

"I don't know. I think it came from Evans Field."

"Of course, another damn field." I take out my gun before we run into the field.

We then stop at the edge of a large dip in the field where the woman's car used to be and look around for a sign of what happened, but all we can see is smoke. Then from beneath the smoke, I hear a baby crying.

"Oh, my God." I drop my gun and I take off my hoodie before running towards the crater. "No!" I kneel down and wrap the baby up in my hoodie, making it stop crying.

                  •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Last time I checked, babies don't just fall out of the sky." Adams tells us as we walk down the hallway.

"It left a thirty foot crater, Sheriff. How else would you explain it?" Clark questions.

"Well, I can't. That's why we're conducting a little something called an investigation."

"Really? Who would've guessed that one?" I retort.

"What's gonna happen to the baby now, Sheriff?" Jonathan wonders.

"Well, he'll be placed with child services until we find a home for him." Adams replies.

"No." I stop walking. "He's not going to Child Services."

"He has to, Brianna."

"No."

"You did good, Brady. The little critter wouldn't be alive if not for you. Speaking of you, the hell you been for the past three months?" Adams wonders and I bite the inside of my cheek.

"He's not going into Child Services." I turn and head back into the room. "Hey."

"Hi, Brianna." Martha holds the crying baby. "Brianna, the last time you-"

"I'm fine, Martha." I whisper. "Don't worry about me. Sorry someone broke your railing." I give her a nod before Clark and Jonathan enter.

"Whoever that was saved my husband. Saved my family. I am eternally grateful."

"We are." Jonathan adds.

"I've tried everything, but he won't stop." Martha inquires as the baby keeps crying.

"Is he okay?" I walk over.

"If you can believe it, all this crying is a good sign. The doctor said he's perfectly healthy."