104. strike force

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

       ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Did you hear?" Margo enters our dorm as I sit on the couch reading a book.

"Hear what?" I turn a page.

"The first party of the year is going to be on our floor."

"Oh, yeah?" I mock.

"Technically, it's to celebrate the first week of classes, but I'm anticipating the themes quickly degenerating to hey, walking works—let's drink. The important thing is that this party, the first party, is going to be on our floor. Our floor."

"Yes, our floor." I keep reading.

"Anyhow, the way it works is that anyone who wants to be apart of the party will just leave their door open so people can just wander in and out. So what do you think?"

"About what?"

"Leaving our door open. It's the perfect opportunity to solidify our social standing at Princeton. It'll virtually guarantee invitations to every other party thrown this year, and we'll get our faces in people's heads." Margo inquires.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"What don't you know? I've explained the entire thing to you."

"Well, I'm not sure I wanna leave our door open to a bunch of strangers."

"Well, they won't be strangers once they come in and say howdy."

"Yeah, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna feel that night. I might be tired."

"For God's sakes, grandpa, you're eighteen. Sleep when you're dead."

"Look, we can still go to the party. We can meet people, you can solidify your social status, get your face in people's heads, and I can bail when I feel like it."

"Going isn't the same. Going is passive. Opening your door, you are giving the party. You are responsible for the fun. People owe you. Don't you want people to owe you?"

"No. I'm good, actually."

"Oh, sure, you're good. You're fine. After all, you have all this fancy furniture and a big TV to lord over people. It's the rest of us who are screwed—the ones whose friends hadn't thought to provide suck-up furniture."

"This is not suck-up furniture."

"You're being selfish. You don't care about anybody but yourself!" Margo shouts and I jump. "Brianna, I-"'

"It's alright, Margo. I'm fine." I nod before looking back at my textbook.

            •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"You're late, Brianna." Professor Fine looks at his watch as I enter. "Is everything alright?"