057. pete vs. dante

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

  ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Dad?" I hear Clark say and I stop in my tracks.

"Sweetheart? How are you feeling?" Martha asks and I lean against the wall with watery eyes.

"Are you three still here? I think you need to go back, back home and get some rest." Jonathan inquires and I thickly swallow. "Hey, Clark, don't worry about me, son. It's gonna take a whole lot more than a heart attack to keep your old man down."

"I just feel like this is all my fault." Clark tells him.

"Hey, come here. Look, there's a lot of things that you can do, but causing cardiac arrest is not one of them."

"Last time you were at the doctor's, they said you had a heart of a twenty year old just before I went to Metropolis."

"If you're suggesting that your biological father has anything to do with this-"

"He gave you powers to bring me home that no human was meant to have, and I don't think your heart could handle it."

"Clark, no. There were other factors." Martha informs.

"If I hadn't put on that ring and abandoned you and mom when you needed me most, you wouldn't be lying here in this bed." Clark chokes out.

"As hard as this is for you to believe, not everything that goes wrong in Smallville is Clark Kent's fault. Now, I need you to promise me something." Jonathan says.

"Anything."

"Promise me that one day, you'll tell Brianna. Promise me you'll tell her someday, son."

"I promise." Clark whispers and I quickly wipe my eyes before entering.

"There she is." Jonathan grins at me and I shakily exhale before sitting on the edge of the bed. "Listen to me." He grabs my hand before I can speak. "This is not your fault. You didn't cause this, so don't you dare blame yourself." He shakes his head. "I'm sorry that you had to find me like that. I'm so sorry, Brianna."

"It's not your fault either, Jon." I whisper, barely audible. "You're gonna be okay. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise." I firmly nod and he grins before reaching his hand up, now cupping my face and I hold his wrist.

"Martha." Mom enters.

"Maya." Martha gets up and they hug before leaving with Clark.

"Make sure he takes care of you." Jonathan tells me.

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"My son, he cares about you more than he cares about himself. Don't let him get away. And he better make damn sure not to let you get away. So whatever happens from here on out, promise me that when he asks you the question, you'll say yes."