095. under the knife

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"I...slow down." Mom pats the back of my head.

"Mom, please." I huff.

"Start over. This case you caught, the dead woman, she was murdered by a serial killer?"

"Yes. Who's killed a dozen women, maybe more." I hold the rag against the back of my head.

"And Loeb gave you this on purpose?" Mom questions.

"He wants to hurt us." Jim inquires as he takes over, now holding the rag against the back of my head.

"And how am I in danger?"

"He murdered the loved ones of any cop who investigates him. It's how he's been able to get away with it so far. Anyone who comes after him, he's killed someone they love and the investigation's been buried.
Bullock knows a cop—came home and found his wife.
Her throat had been cut."

"Oh." Mom sits down.

"That's why Loeb gave me the case." I rasp out.

"Either we give up, like everyone else...and live, knowing we let a killer go free...or we keep on, and someone we love is killed." Jim grabs her hands.

"You both are not giving up, are you?" Mom looks at us.

"I can't." I shake my head.

"That's why I need you three to get out of Gotham right now. Tonight." Jim looks at me.

"No."

"This is not up for discussion. I need the three of you safe. I won't have Dominic-"

"You wanna protect us? Find him. We're gonna stay here." Mom informs. "But I do like that you think of us as loved ones." She kisses him.

"I do." Jim nods. "Love you." He turns to me.

"And it only took a serial killer to get you to say that."

"Loeb gave me this case, and I'm not letting you take over. We get him together or just me." I nod.

"Brianna-"

"Pick one." I tell Jim before I get up and exit the bathroom.

    •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"What's this about, Harvey?" Zion shakes Harvey's hand.

"Have a seat." Harvey tells him. "These are my partners, Jim Gordon and Brianna Brady."

"Detective." I place a file down before sitting with Jim and Harvey. "Eight years ago, you investigated the murder of a woman named Julie Kemble.