107. reckoning

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

                ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Is this for real?" I head over.

"Oh, uh, Sosnick had it all trucked up from Metropolis." Jonathan gets up from the fake desk.

"I keep expecting some mobster with a carnation to step out of the shadows and plug me." I cross my arms and he laughs.

"Wow."

"Oh, dear God." I turn to see Miles leading Clark out with Martha.

"My exact words when I looked in the mirror." Martha raises her eyebrows. "You have to admit, it's...it's not exactly us."

"No kidding. And green of all colors?" Miles grimaces.

"Dad, are you sure this guy knows what he's doing?" Clark questions.

"Clark, Sosnick helped Jack win five elections. I'm sure he knows more about this stuff than we do." Jonathan nods.

"If you ask me, I think he's trying to turn you into a Luthor." I hand him a newspaper.

"Is there a problem?" Sosnick heads over.

"I've been waiting for you to ask that question." I turn to him with a grin. "I was just wondering if you've ever actually met the Kents. The reason somebody is gonna vote for Mister Kent is because they relate to him, and who is gonna believe that he supports local farmers when he looks like some big business blowhard—no offense, Jon—who wants to buy them out?"

"Well, that's called bridging the demo gap, sweetheart." He nods and I raise my eyebrows.

"Someone call the po-po, cause this guy's dead." Miles moves a camera out of the way.

"Does bridging that gap also include misquoting your candidate?" I cross my arms.

"Wait a minute. It says, Jonathan Kent is quoted as saying, it is possible to serve corporate interest and maintain the public welfare. I never said that." Jonathan shakes his head, looking at the newspaper.

"I did." Sosnick tells him.

"You did?" He walks over, now standing beside me.

"Yes. Look, this whole John Boy thing—don't get me wrong. You're very good at it. It may win over the cowpokes, but there's a pool of voters that are more familiar with vente lattes than they are with digging postholes."

"What I really need here is somebody who cares about what I believe in more than they care about winning a race."

"Did you know it's illegal to make statements about someone that you know are blatantly false, and if you do this intentionally while speaking to someone. It's defamation. If the subject of it and their reputation suffer because of your actions, you may be taken to court." I nod.