096. the anvil or the hammer

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

               ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Hey. How are you guys doing?" Lee walks over to me and Jim.

"Been better." Jim takes off his jacket.

"You seen Harvey?" I fix my hood.

"No." Lee replies.

"Any word on Barbara?" Mom heads over.

"They haven't found her body yet, so there's a chance she's still alive." Jim tells her.

"When's the last time you slept?" She cups both sides of my face.

"I'm fine." I hold her wrists before sitting down.

"Last time you ate?"

"I'm fine." I repeat before pulling out the file.

"I know better than to try to get you to sleep, but you really should eat something, honey."

"The both of you." Lee sets a bag beside me.

"I'm not hungry." I move the bag over.

"Brianna, it's not your fault." Mom grabs my arm and I bite the inside of my cheek before getting up.

"I did this. I pressed Loeb, he sent the Ogre after me, and I didn't stop." I inquire.

"It's not your fault." Jim tells me.

"Yes, it is. I did the press conference."

"We did that together."

"But I spoke. He wanted me, not you. It was bad enough I knowingly put you in danger. I didn't even think of Barbara."

"You were doing your job." Lee says.

"But we should've known." Jim nods.

"How?" Mom questions. "Y-You weren't together. Do you blame yourself for falling out of love?"

"Maya, it's my responsibility. There's nothing you can say that changes that. Whatever happens to Barbara, it's on me."

"I understand."

"Mom, please, just stay here with Lee until we catch the guy." I whisper.

"Kid! Jimbo!" Harvey slurs out. "Meet Jake the JV pimp. He's been bragging on the streets that he knows who the Ogre is."

"I keep telling you, man, you been lied to. I don't know nothing." Jake deadpans.

"Yeah? We'll see about that." He drags Jake away before me and Jim follow.

   •──────✧❅✦❅✧──────