A Film by Dale Squires

May,

The next week, we were all in the Black box theater, waiting for class to begin. Marty said there was someone like really famous coming to talk to us today, so class was starting a little later than usual. So, as we waited, me and my friends, except Robbie, started asking each other crazy random questions to pass the time. Robbie wasn't here, we hadn't seen him all morning.

"Okay, if you had to, give up the internet or one of your feet?" Tori asked.

"Foot." Cat said as Andre and Jade said the same thing.

Beck raised up his leg, looking at his boot covered foot. "See ya, foot."

"I don't know, I mean—" I tilted my head, raising one of my legs up from Beck's lap. "Foot." I answered.

"Really? You'd all give up a foot to keep the internet?" Tori asked.

"Totally." Beck replied.

"Wouldn't you?" Cat asked.

"You love the internet." Andre added.

"I know, but my foot is a part of my body, and the internet is... Yeah, bye foot." She said, bringing her foot down from the chair it was resting on as the bell rung.

"All right, future superstars, take your seats because at this point in your lives I am in charge of you." Our teacher said as he walked in. "Come on, hurry up. Let's not waste time, we've got some excitement today!"

"Yay! I love excitement!" Cat exclaimed.

"Who doesn't love excitement?" Tori rhetorically asked.

Cat turned around, pointing at the boy sitting beside Tori. "Damien."

"She's right... Tori." He agreed, slowly turning his head towards Tori. I gripped Beck's arm a little tighter as Tori scooted her chair closer to Andre's. It looked like he was for real on something and hadn't slept in a month.

"Okay. So today, instead of discussing the differences-" The teacher continued, only to be cut off by Robbie busting in the room.

"Hi. Sorry I'm late, sweaty and out of breath." He said as he limped into the room, holding Rex.

"Somebody get me some coffee." Rex chimed.

"Robbie, just sit down." Our teacher told him.

"Why are you late?" Tori asked.

"Cause my uncle Marty gave me this car which I was really psyched about, except it keeps breaking down. And on my way here, the motor died in the middle of a really bad neighborhood! Now don't get me wrong. I like all people but look, a mean guy took my left shoe and Rex's!" He explained as he scooted his way down the aisle of chairs, grabbing Rex's foot to prove his point.

"Put my foot down!"

"Okay. Let's all shut up and let teacher talk." He nodded, "Now I bet you are all familiar with the short film called 'Butterface'?" Our teacher continued, again. A chorus of yes's came from the class.

"Yeah, of course. My God, I've watched that movie online, like, a billion of times." Tori said.

"Oh, we know Tori, I know." I glared, she made me watch that movie with her 'like, a billion of times.'

"Yeah. Who hasn't?" Jade rhetorically asked.

"Well, I'm glad you're all aware of the film because I'd like you to meet the director of Butterface—"

"No way!" Robbie exclaimed.

"Don't tease me." Jade said.

"A former student of mine, Dale Squires." Our teacher introduced as Dale ran out from the curtain, smiling and looking around the room. "Let him hear it! Okay, Dale, podium is all yours."