The Opposite Date: Part 2

Hii!! I'mm back! I needed to take a break from writing, uploading, and just worrying about my books, period, because I was feeling burnt out, had writer's block for the longest time, and just wasn't feeling confident in my writing. So, all that, on top of my personal life, I just needed to take a little break. I did feel crazy bad for not uploading though, because I missed it and I know some of you guys did too. Thank you for sticking around, and as a gift, I present to you, the longest chapter I have ever written (Wc: 12k). Enjoy <3 Expect typo's here and there, this was not proofread.

April 9th, Saturday

"God, I hate being stuck in traffic!" Jade exclaimed, "We're gonna be late and we're gonna miss Y/n and Beck." She grumbled and hit the horn again.

"Honk!" Cat shouted, before laughing. She looked at Jade, "I honked just like your car. Oh! Let's think about all the different kinds of honks there are." Cat sat up, "I like the one that's like meep-meep, you know, like how the bird does it in the cartoon?" She asked.

"The roadrunner?" Jade asked, resting her head on the window.

"No, I don't like him. He's so mean to that dog." Cat said, looking out her window.

Jade rolled her eyes, "That dog is a coyote."

Cat gasped, looking at her. "Oh, my God, was that racist?" She asked worriedly, before Jade laid on the horn, sitting back with a grunt.

THREE YEARS AGO

The ambiance was elegant, the soft hum of conversations and clinking cutlery surrounded them as they sat across from each other in the dark blue booth and looked over the giant black menus.

"So, what are you thinking about ordering?" Y/n asked, looking up from her menu. She hadn't recalled Beck telling her what he wanted on the way over like she had.

Beck looked up; his eyebrows furrowed. "I don't know yet. Man, everything looks so good. The shrimp scampi or.." He glanced down at his menu, "The Lobster Bisque." He said, trying to pronounce the word correctly. Y/n smiled, amused at Beck's emaciation to the unfamiliar menu. "Definitely not refrigerated mussels, though." He mumbled, looking over the menu.

Y/n reached forward over the table, grabbing a roll of bread and the dinner knife. She raised an eyebrow, "Refrigerated mussels? Is that even a thing?" She asked, delicately buttering up the roll. A waiter had come by not too long ago, dropping off a basket of fresh rolls, butter and a butter spreader, as he eyed them suspiciously.

"I have no clue, but it just sounds... wrong, right?" He leaned forward, scrunching up his face before he shuddered, making Y/n laugh. He smiled at her laughing, picking up a roll too. As the two continued to talk, using their dinner knives instead of the butter spreader, to put butter onto their rolls a slightly hunched over older waitress, Gladys, approached their booth.

She squinted at the dimly lit booth, as she leant forward, her eyesight not being what it used to be. "Well, aren't you two a sight for sore eyes!" She exclaimed, her voice frail and soft, "Good afternoon, my name is Gladys and welcome to Monarollos. I will be your server for the night. Have we taken a look at the menu yet?" She asked, her glasses perched at the edge of her nose as she put her pen to paper.

Y/n looked up, placing her knife down on the table. It clinked against the other utensils on the table, making a loud clatter, sound across the restaurant. She winced, seeing some of the patrons around them look at her and Beck with annoyances before looking at Gladys. "Uh, y-yes." She stuttered, opening her menu.