THREE

— 𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 —

𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

"WHEN I CALL YOUR NAME, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," Professor McGonagall called out, holding a long piece of parchment. "Abbott, Hannah!"

A blonde girl a few inches shorter than Cassie had moved past her, making her way to the small wooden stool that had been positioned in front of the hall. The hat was placed upon her hair, drooping down slightly so that it covered her eyes. 

Within a moment, the hat had suddenly bellowed, "HUFFLEPUFF!" and students on one of the tables cheered loudly, welcoming the girl into her new house. 

Draco let out a small scoff, which Cassie ignored, instead watching with intent as McGonagall called out the next name. "Bones, Susan!" 

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

More names were called out and the line progressively got shorter. Some students had already started getting sorted into Slytherin. Some, she already knew of, though other names were new to her such as Tracey Davis and Millicent Bulstrode.

The twins sniggered as the boy who had dropped his toad, who they now learned was named Neville Longbottom, ran off to the Gryffindor table whilst still having the hat on his head. He sheepishly returned it to the next girl as the rest of the hall laughed. 

Cassie knew of the Longbottoms. Their father usually sat the twins down as he told them about well-known pureblooded families so they knew who to befriend or avoid. The Longbottoms were respected in the wizarding community, though they weren't as invested in blood status as others, but they weren't blood traitors so they were considered okay.

"Malfoy, Cassiopeia." Her stomach lurched as McGonagall had just called her name. Draco gave her a reassuring look before Cassie walked up nervously to the front. 

Who would ever think of such a cruel ceremony? Cassie thought to herself as thousands of eyes set on her. She was nervous, but she wouldn't let them know that. Instead, she maintained a poker face.

The brim of the hat had covered her face, preventing her from seeing beyond the crowd. All of a sudden, a gruff voice erupted inside her head. "Another Malfoy, huh? I've crossed many before, all of them being Slytherins..."

"Yes, and I would like to go there as well if you wouldn't mind," Cassie had thought to the hat.

"You could very well fit the role of a Slytherin, but I can sense that is not where you truly belong."

"What do you mean?!" 

"It is Gryffindor that will do you well. I can see that you have true potential there, even if you may not realise it yet. Great things will follow you if you were to go to Gryffindor, I presume that's what you want?"