TEN

— 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐦𝐚 —

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐦𝐚

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

IT HAD BEEN A COUPLE OF DAYS AFTER CHRISTMAS. Her gifts had been the same as usual: some jewellery from her mother, new dress robes from her father, a new book from Draco (who most likely sent Dobby out for the best one he could find) and some other bits and bobs from relatives, distant or otherwise, and family friends.

They spent their Christmas at a dinner at the manor her father had hosted, with important ministry workers and members of pureblooded families attending. Cassiopeia wanted to be anywhere else but there, not wanting to hear the conversations of old men she didn't understand. 

It seemed Draco had been having the same sentiment as he suggested they sneak upstairs and spend the rest of the evening playing wizards' chess. Cassie quickly agreed, and the twins slipped upstairs and into Draco's room. 

They had been in a middle of a match when Draco had suddenly asked, "Do you think I'm gonna grow up and be like them?"

Cassie raised a brow. "What do you mean?"

"Like those boring old lot downstairs. All they do is sit on their arses all day living out their boring old lives. They're boring."

"Oh yes, very boring," Cassie said, rolling her eyes. "But you want to be like father, don't you?"

"Of course I do. He's rich, powerful and respected. I'll be just like him – perhaps even more." he answered easily. "What about you?"

"Well, I'm to marry some pureblood, hopefully, he's rich too. Then I'll have children and live out my days in our big manor," she said in a bored tone.

"That's boring," Draco muttered.

"Very. Maybe I can study alchemy on the side – get myself on a chocolate frog card. I don't have to stay at home all the time, though. Mother says Aunt Bella got married but was still a powerful witch."

"Isn't Aunt Bella currently in Azkaban?" Draco countered, which Cassiopeia ignored. Instead, she focused on the game.

"Checkmate," she said triumphantly, watching Draco's king get destroyed by her piece. Draco groaned. "I believe the tally's up five to zero."

*

Cassiopeia had been sitting cross-legged on her bed, reading one of her books when she suddenly heard a knock on her door.

She hadn't been doing anything that day, unlike Draco who had his friends from school over. She wasn't sure exactly who he had invited, considering she had shut herself up in her room all day, only really going downstairs when it was breakfast.

She wasn't jealous, but she did feel weird. Usually, she and Draco shared the same friends; of course they did – they grew up with the same people. She expected to be in the same house as him as well, but when she wasn't sorted into Slytherin and Draco was, it seemed their small group of friends seem to favour her brother more. Not that she was particularly close with them – she didn't much care. But it felt weird because now her brother had all these people to hang with and she had, well, nobody.