THIRTY-FOUR

— 𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫 —

𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

IT WAS THE DAY BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS would begin and Cassiopeia sitting in the slightly empty common room, reading one of her books when she was approached by Harry.

"What's up? No entourage today?" she asked as she looked up, noticing he was by himself and not with Hermione and Ron. 

"No, just me..." he said slowly, giving her a strange look. If she didn't know any better, she would have thought that he looked somewhat angry. "Can we talk?"

"Er, sure."

Harry took the space next to her, frowning. "I wanted to talk to you about Sirius Black."

Cassiopeia straightened up, shutting her book. "I told you, I don't know anything about Black—"

"You don't need to lie!" he snapped. Cassie stared at him, slightly taken aback by his reaction. "I know about what happened with him and my dad! That's why your brother was talking about getting revenge. And you lied for him." 

He looked at her expectantly, his emerald eyes filled with hurt and accusation. "You're right, we knew about Black. But—"

"There is no but!" he interrupted. "Black betrayed my parents! He's the reason they are dead. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I... It wasn't my place to tell. I knew you'd be hurt when you'd find out," Cassiopeia excused.

"Of course I would be hurt! But it would've been better to hear it from you rather than hear it in someone else's conversation. What makes it worse is if I didn't tell you I knew you still would've lied! You hid the truth about it for what? So you could feel better about yourself knowing you didn't drop down the hard news?" he yelled accusingly and Cassie shushed him quietly, looking around and hoping no one was listening. No one appeared to have noticed them. Harry gave her a peeved look.

"That's not why. If I told you, you would lash out like you're doing right now. Draco knows that, which is why he taunted you about it. Now that you know, what difference does it make? You won't be able to do anything to Black, even if you wanted to."

"I could try," he grumbled.

"And fail. Let's say you miraculously come across him — what are you going to do? Kill him? You can't go looking for him, he'd kill you first!" Harry didn't say anything, instead staring down at his lap with his fist clenched. 

Cassiopeia raised her hand hesitantly, and slowly rested it on Harry's shoulder. She was surprised he hadn't shrugged her off, but instead, she felt him slightly untense. "I'm sorry. I should have told you," she told him sincerely.

"You should have," muttered Harry. "Is there anything else you've hidden from me that you've neglected to tell me?" Cassie shook her head. Harry sighed. "I'm sorry for yelling at you. It's just... I never got the chance to speak to my parents and now to find out I could've had the chance if it wasn't for Black..."