FIFTY-SEVEN

— 𝐚 𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐟𝐨𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 —

𝐚 𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐟𝐨𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

FOR A SHORT MOMENT, Cassiopeia was confused as to why she felt herself gasping for air, her body overwhelmingly cold and her ears filled with loud cheers and claps. Her eyes shot open to see Cedric next to her, holding onto her tightly as he swam to the platform in front of them. It was only then that she realised what was happening.

Cassiopeia wrapped her arms around herself as they finally reached the platform, struggling to catch her breath. She looked at Cedric, who was also struggling, but he caught her sight and smiled. Cassie grinned back.

They were dragged away from the edge and were bombarded with towels by Madam Pomfrey. "You did it!" Cassie said excitedly. "Did you come first?"

"I dunno," he said, glancing at a very distressed Fleur who was also in towels, muttering under her breath. From what Cassie could see, her sister wasn't with her.

Just seconds later, Krum and Hermione emerged from the water as well. The only ones left were Fleur's sister, Harry and Ron. Cassiopeia looked up at the giant clock that loomed over the lake. "An hour's passed already — is something wrong?" Cedric shrugged.

"Do you need another towel?" he asked, noticing she was still shivering.

"I'll be fine," she said dismissively, but Cedric was still staring at her worriedly. She decided to change the subject. "You know, I'm a little flattered I'm the person you'd miss most."

"Of course, I would — you've been helping me all this time. Even with Cho," he responded brightly.

"I guess we can say we're even. I help you get a girlfriend and you help me out of the bottom of the lake."

Their conversation was cut short, however, as Harry broke out of the water's surface, pulling Ron and Fleur's sister up with him. The stands made a great deal of noise as they appeared. Fleur was being restrained by Madam Maxime as she tried to return to the water.

"Gabrielle! Gabrielle! Is she alive? Is she 'urt?"

Ron too was being grasped onto by his brother, Percy, into a great hug, the former struggling to get out of his grip. That was when Cassiopeia realised that the Weasley had replaced Crouch again. She squinted in the judges' direction as they began to deliberate — where exactly was he?

Cassiopeia was brought out of her thoughts as Ludo's magically magnified voice boomed from beside them, making them all jump and the stands to go very quiet.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our decision. Merchieftainess Murcus has told us exactly what happened at the bottom of the lake, and we have therefore decided to award marks out of fifty for each of the champions, as follows...