FORTY-NINE

— 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬 —

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

IT WOULD'VE NEVER CROSSED CASSIOPEIA'S MIND that she would be sitting in a courtyard beside Theodore Nott, especially when she was supposed to dislike him for ever thinking she was the black sheep of her family.

She didn't understand why she felt the urge to talk to him. After all, he clearly knew nothing about her. But at the same time, it felt as if he was the only one she could talk to, especially considering who her other options were.

She could never tell Cedric, Seamus or Dean what she was truly going through. How could she explain to them half the things going on in her life?  Draco was her twin, though she felt as if she couldn't explain to him her true feelings. He'd either not understand, overreact or simply not react at all.

Theo was the only one in the castle who could remotely understand what was going on with her, or at least according to him. He claimed he wasn't the perfect son, although she never understood what he meant by it. He claimed to be an outsider, just like her. But how would he know? She did not know a thing about him. And yet she was still talking to him as if she did.

"You know, when you said you wanted to talk I thought you'd start being honest to the both of us," he said, a tone of boredness in his voice.

"I wanted to talk because you were the one who brought up the idea in the first place," she clarified sharply. "And I am being honest."

Theo scoffed. "You insist on claiming you aren't different from your family and desperately try to convince yourself you're perfect."

She glared at him. "And you insist on thinking you know everything about me. I'm not different—"

"You are a Gryffindor and your best friends are a mudblood, a Weasley and the Dark Lord's mortal enemy."

"They are not my best friends."

"Ah, my mistake. I guess it just came across that way, what with you parading around the castle with them. So tell me, if you aren't really friends with them, why did your father send you away for the summer?"

Cassiopeia's jaw set. "I shouldn't have told you that," she grumbled in regret. Theo raised his hands up defensively.

"Didn't mean it to rub it in. I'm sure my father would want to get rid of me if he had the chance," he excused with a shrug. "I offered to talk because I thought it'd help to know someone could relate to you."

"But how do you relate to me? You won't even tell me. If you want to help then maybe you'd stop being so bloody mysterious," she responded irritably, looking away.

"I saw your hand the other day at breakfast," he said suddenly, making Cassie's eyes widen, snapping back to him in confusion.

"What?"