FIFTY-SIX

— 𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩 —

𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

"WHO'RE YOU? WHERE'S HAGRID?" Ron asked as he, Harry and Hermione arrived at the Care of Magical Creatures lesson.

Instead of Hagrid standing pleasantly by his cabin as he always did, a witch with closely cropped grey hair and a prominent chin stood by his front door. "My name is Professor Grubbly-Plank," she said briskly, "I am your temporary Care of Magical Creatures teacher."

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry repeated loudly. 

"He is indisposed," the professor replied shortly. Draco laughed unpleasantly — neither he nor the rest of the Slytherins were surprised by Professor Grubbly-Plank's presence. Cassiopeia knew why.

Just that morning Draco had shown her an article written by Rita Skeeter — in it she had exposed Hagrid for being a half-giant, even going so far as to accuse him of being bloodthirsty and brutal. It hadn't helped that Draco gave an interview, stating that they all hated Hagrid for his lessons, and even coming up with the ridiculous lie that Crabbe was bitten by a flobberworm.

She was livid about the article, and even more so from another one of Draco's attempts to get Hagrid fired. But then she had to remind herself what her grandfather told her. Half-breeds are abominations. But that wasn't fair. Hagrid was kind.

They were led past the paddock where the Beauxbatons horses were and towards a tree where a large and beautiful unicorn was tethered. It was so white that the snow around them looked grey. The girls 'ooooohed!' at the sight of it.

"Oh, it's so beautiful!" Lavender whispered. "How did she get it? They're supposed to be really hard to catch!"

"Boys keep back!" the professor barked, holding her arm out to stop Harry in his paces, hitting him hard on the chest in the process. "They prefer the woman's touch, unicorns. Girls to the front, and approach with care. Come on, easy does it..."

 The girls stepped to the unicorn cautiously whilst the boys were left by the paddock fence. They took turns to stroke the animal, Cassie going first. It was surprisingly smooth and it felt sort of therapeutic to trace her hand back and forth on the unicorn. But yet it still wouldn't compare to the magnificence of a hippogriff.

Cassiopeia stepped back, allowing an eager Pavarti to take a turn. She looked back to the boys, who were now all focused on the article a particularly smug Draco was showing them. She frowned, turning her attention back to the unicorn. 

"I hope she stays, that woman!" Parvati was saying was saying as the lesson had ended. "That's more what I thought Care of Magical Creatures would be like... proper creatures like unicorns, not monsters..."