FORTY-EIGHT

— 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐭 —

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐭

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

CASSIOPEIA WALKED INTO THE GREAT HALL for breakfast later than usual. Usually, she would wake up at seven in the morning to get ready, but now she needed to avoid Hermione, who woke up around the same time.

Cassie knew if she wanted to be perfect she couldn't speak to muggleborns any longer. The only problem is she didn't know exactly what to say to make the trio stay away from her, and so she resorted to staying as far away from them as possible, as she always did.

It was a pathetic idea, she knew. But she just couldn't speak to any of them without feeling like she was betraying everything she knew, especially her family.

Instead of sitting with the Gryffindors, she made a beeline for the Slytherin table. Another thing she realised she had to do was keep herself around the right sort. Being around the Gryffindors all the time was rubbing off her and she supposed surrounding herself more around other purebloods would help, just like her grandfather told her to.

Besides, she needed other friends who weren't Gryffindors. She valued Seamus and Dean a lot, but being around them usually meant being near the trio.

"Shouldn't you be sitting on the other side of the hall?" asked Theodore as Cassie sat across from him.

"I thought I needed a change of scenery," she responded shortly.

Cassiopeia mainly decided to sit with him via the process of elimination. Crabbe and Goyle were both equally thick-skulled, Millicent Bulstrode was way too aggressive for her liking, she didn't know Blaise enough to speak to him, Pansy was insufferable and being friends with Tracey Davis or Daphne meant being friends with Pansy in association.

"So, you've stopped lying to yourself then?" he said, raising an eyebrow.

Cassie slightly clenched her right hand. She knew he was referring to what they spoke about during Daphne's ball. "I stand by what I said during the ball. I am not different from my family, despite what you think." Theodore opened his mouth to speak, but Cassie cut him off. "But I am willing to start fresh with you. It seems like you're the only one in this castle who might be able to know what I'm going through."

He smirked at her. "Fine, we can start fresh. But you can't hate me."

Cassie scoffed. "I don't hate you, Nott."

"And you don't actually have to refer to me by my last name. Everyone else calls me Theo. If we're starting fresh we might as well be a little more civil."

She frowned slightly. It was the same thing Harry told her when he sat next to her in Lockhart's class. She tried to get him out of her head. "Okay, Theo. We'll be civil."