TWENTY-THREE

— 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐠𝐞 —

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐠𝐞

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

CASSIOPEIA HAD NEVER FELT SO ALIENATED in her life before. The odd and unwelcome looks she had received from her housemates made her uneasy. Some people were already unsure of her considering her family were Slytherins and blood supremacists, but now their uncertainty became blatant hate as it was discovered Professor Dumbledore was suspended from the post of headmaster, thanks to none other than her father.

Cassie couldn't blame their upsetness about the headmaster being gone – after all, without him, the school didn't really stand a chance. But she couldn't help the feeling of rage overcome her as people began talking around her in hushed and judgemental tones. 

There were some days were she got so fed up that she began to snap at anyone she found looking her way, which certainly didn't help her case. Thankfully, Draco could sense the tension she was feeling within her house and allowed her to hang out with him and the Slytherins more and more. It had gotten to the point where the only times she was with the Gryffindors was when it was curfew or she had classes with them.

As Summer began to creep in, the fear among the students spread rapidly. Not only was Dumbledore fired, but Hagrid was sent to Azkaban. It was certainly a great shock to the students. Cassie knew this was the ministry's doing, or more specifically – Cornelius Fudge. 

She hadn't the slightest idea why Hagrid would have even been considered a suspect. There was no way he could have been the heir of Slytherin, let alone the attacker of muggleborns. The only thing that had eased some students' minds was the fact that they were being escorted by students on a daily basis.

Possibly the only person that was not shaken by either news was her brother. Unlike everyone else in the castle, Draco was very glad that it had been their father that suspended Dumbledore. He made it very clear one Potions lesson as he began to speak out loud, "I always thought father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore. I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed," he said to her, Crabbe and Goyle.

As Snape began to sweep around the classroom, Draco sat up in his seat. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy. Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I dare say he'll be back with us soon enough," the potion master replied, but the suppressed smirk on his face said otherwise. 

"Yeah, right. I expect you'd have father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job. I'll tell father you're the best teacher here, sir." Cassiopeia couldn't help but roll her eyes heavily as Draco kissed up, leaving the professor walking away with a smirk. In the corner of her eye, she saw Seamus pretending to vomit into his cauldron as he pointed at Snape, and Cassie let out a quiet snigger.