TWENTY-FOUR

— 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 —

 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

THE BASILISK, OR KING OF SERPENTS, is one of, if not, the most dangerous and deadliest beast to ever grace the earth. It was a great serpent that could grow up to fifty feet in length and live for countless centuries. The Basilisk is feared by most creatures – even spiders which flee in its presence. Not only was its venom deadly, but just looking in its eyes would cause instant death.

How did Cassiopeia know all of this? Well, she read it in a book.

A book from her father's study, to be exact. It had been over the holiday and she had gotten bored of the books she was currently reading. Since it had been around the same period that her father was disposing of all his dark artefacts, Cassie thought it would be harmless to take a peek in one of his many forbidden books. And in those books was the story of the basilisk.

Cassiopeia was no fool, even though she was placed in Gryffindor – a house of foolishly heroic and reckless people. She knew that even simply making the littlest noise would attract the creature's attention and could eventually lead to her demise.

And so she stayed in the broom closet, not daring to leave. After all, she did like living.

She hadn't even realised how long she had stayed in the space until she finally plucked up the courage and carefully pulled the door open, peering outside through the small creek to make sure the coast was clear. When she saw there was no one there, she ran out as fast as she could.

Cassie dashed upstairs, looking for somebody – anybody. McGonagall, Dumbledore, Draco – even Harry. She had only gone up one floor when she had bumped into than other than Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, crashing into the former as she hadn't been aware of her surroundings.

"Ouch..." Harry groaned, but then finally looked up, shocked as he saw who had bumped into him. "C-Cassiopeia?"

Cassiopeia had her hand on her chest, panting. She wasn't sure if it was because of her running or the fear she had. "Weasley!" she exclaimed, not even acknowledging Harry as she sighted the redhead. "It's your sister! She-she's..."

"She's gone. In the chamber," Ron finished grimly. "Where have you been? We thought you'd been petrified or were in the chamber as well."

"What?" she asked in surprise.

"No one saw you last night. You weren't at the feast either," Harry explained, taking in her dishevelled state.

"Right. Well, I was in the common room when... well – your sister was taken to the chamber!"

"Yes, we know. Now, if you don't mind, we've got somewhere to go," Ron stated, pulling Harry away quickly as he began to walk away.

Cassiopeia panicked. "The monster is a basilisk!" she yelled at them, hoping to gain their attention again. It seemed it worked as the two slowly turned back to her with widened eyes.