late night session

i worked as a marriage counselor for celebrities. it wasn't too much of a hard job, but it wasn't always easy. i basically got paid to tell people richer than i was what to do in their marriage. it was kinda ironic, considering the fact i wasn't married but divorced.

the date was february 8, 1964, i was at my job just finishing up with some notes i took on a couple when my phone rang. i sighed a bit out of exasperation, picking up the line,

"hello! thank you for calling Julia's Marriage Center how can i help you?" i sounded more like a robotic answering machine than a person, but i didn't care.

the caller on the other side of the line cleared his throat before speaking up. his voice was raspy, scouse. he stayed mute for about 10 seconds before talking lowly, "hi uh.. yes...my name is george. my wife and i are having some trouble and she suggested i look for a counselor and so i did some digging and found you. do you think you could wedge us in for a session?" he spoke cautiously.

"hello george! well you called the right place! i sure can wedge you in. how's the 16th at 2?" i responded softly, pulling out my pen and planner.

"sounds good." he replied softly.

"great! so i'll see you and your wife february 16 at 2. by the way, what's your wife's name?" i questioned jotting down their appointment.

"selena." he replied tersely.

"alright see you and selena on the 16th." i replied hanging up.

***
february 16, 1964

the weather was colder that day. it made me not want to go into work today. i mean it was my brothers birthday and i was still hungover from celebrating my birthday just the night before. i groaned as i rolled over, remembering i had an appointment with george today.

i gathered myself as i trudged out of bed. i got ready and headed over to work. once i arrived, i walked into my office to look at my clock on my desk, '1:45. great he'll be here in 15 minutes that's great! that'll buy me some time to-' i thought as i heard a soft knock at my door ripping me out of my thoughts.

"come in!" i called out as a young man wearing black slacks, a white button down, with a black tie walked in. i felt my heart skip a beat as he stepped inside my office. he was surely attractive and it definitely caught me off guard. i was almost in too deep with eye fucking him, i didn't even realize his wife walk in.

she had stringy black hair with eyes so bloodshot you would've thought they were red. they were blue. her figure was plump, but she was pretty. she looked miserable from the start and i already knew how she was going to be. i motioned for them to come in and sit down. they took their seats when selena started mouthing off,

her voice ran through me like a high pitched air horn, "george is cheating! i just know it. he just got big in the states with his band a month ago and he isn't half the man he was when i married him. he's got to be cheating. we used to do everything together and now, well now he's always busy. he's always got some excuse and i don't like it. i hate it."

i sat there listening to her rant about her husband as i glanced over at him. our dark eyes meeting. his were kind yet mysterious and mine were dominant yet submissive. i arched an eyebrow before clearing my throat, "and why do you feel that neglecting your wife is a good thing?"

it was here he cleared his throat, "i never said neglecting selena was a good thing. she's my wife and of course i love her, but i just don't see us moving forward anymore. i'm always busy with music and she's never been one to support my career." he admitted somberly.